NWCG Aviation Mishap Response Guide and Checklist, PMS 503
It is critical to respond quickly and effectively to aviation mishaps. A posted and accessible written mishap response action plan is an important first step. A checklist of actions will ensure that nothing is missed in a stressful, time-critical period. All crewmembers must know where to find the plan and must understand how to use it in an emergency.
- Immediate, positive action is necessary. Any delay may affect someone’s chances of survival.
- Conduct rescue operations with the following priorities in mind:
- Preserve life. Ensure the safety of all rescuers as you respond to assist any victims.
- Do whatever is necessary to extricate injured occupants and to extinguish fires, keeping in mind the necessity of protecting and preserving evidence.
- Document and/or photograph the location of any debris that must be disturbed in order to carry out rescues and/or fire suppression activities.
- Secure the area. Treat the crash site as a crime scene. Arrange for security at the accident scene if necessary. Determine if hazardous materials were on the aircraft. Deny access except to credentialed officials and escorted media.
- Be aware that crash sites can be dangerous due to hazardous cargo, flammable and toxic fluids, sharp objects, disease, adverse terrain, hot/cold weather conditions, and fire.
- Exercise good judgment, utilize available protective devices and clothing, and use extreme caution when working near the wreckage site.
- Do not exceed your physical limitations.
Review your unit’s mishap response plan with the crew. Consider practicing with a crash rescue drill or scenario.
Incident Management Situation Report (IMSR)
Incident Response Pocket Guide (IRPG), PMS 461
NWCG Standards for Helicopter Operations, PMS 510
RT-130, Wildland Fire Safety Training Annual Refresher (WFSTAR)
Interagency Standards for Fire and Fire Aviation Operations (Red Book)
Wildland Fire Lessons Learned Center
Have an idea? Have feedback? Share it.
EMAIL | Facebook | URL: https://www.nwcg.gov/committees/6-Minutes-for-safety
MAIL: 6 Minutes for Safety Subcommittee • 3833 S. Development Ave • Boise, ID 83705 | FAX: 208-387-5378