What the SAFECOM system IS
The Aviation Safety Communiqué (SAFECOM) AMD-34/FS-5700-14 should be used to report any condition, observation, act, maintenance problem, or circumstance with personnel or the aircraft that has the potential to cause an aviation-related mishap. SAFECOMS are a tool used to identify, document, track, and correct safety related issues.
What the SAFECOM system IS NOT
- NOT intended for initiating punitive actions,
- NOT to be used as a complaint system or for personal attacks,
- NOT used by contracting officers for contract evaluations/award purposes,
- NOT a substitute for "on-the-spot" corrections to a safety concern, and
- does NOT replace the requirement for initiating an accident or incident report.
SAFECOMs provide the necessary feedback for development of the following communication tools:
- Accident Prevention Bulletins.
- Lessons Learned.
- Safety Alerts.
- Technical Bulletins.
- Information Sharing Memos.
- Maintenance Deficiencies (ADs, SBs, etc).
- Safety Trends.
- Training Needs.
Incident Management Situation Report (IMSR)
Incident Response Pocket Guide (IRPG), PMS 461
NWCG Standards for Helicopter Operations, PMS 510
RT-130, Wildland Fire Safety Training Annual Refresher (WFSTAR)
Interagency Standards for Fire and Fire Aviation Operations (Red Book)
Wildland Fire Lessons Learned Center
Have an idea? Have feedback? Share it.
EMAIL | Facebook | URL: https://www.nwcg.gov/committees/6-Minutes-for-safety
MAIL: 6 Minutes for Safety Subcommittee • 3833 S. Development Ave • Boise, ID 83705 | FAX: 208-387-5378