Page Last Modified / Reviewed:
What the SAFECOM system is:
The Aviation Safety Communiqué (SAFECOM) AMD-34/FS-5700-14 should be used to report any condition, observation, act, maintenance problem, or circumstance with personnel or the aircraft that has the potential to cause an aviation-related mishap. SAFECOMS are a tool used to identify, document, track, and correct safety-related issues.
What the SAFECOM system is not:
- NOT intended for initiating punitive actions.
- NOT to be used as a complaint system or for personal attacks.
- NOT used by contracting officers for contract evaluations/award purposes.
- NOT a substitute for on-the-spot corrections to a safety concern.
- Does NOT replace the requirement for initiating an accident or incident report.
SAFECOMS provide the necessary feedback for development of the following communication tools and documents:
- Accident Prevention Bulletins
- Lessons Learned
- Safety Alerts
- Technical Bulletins
- Information Sharing Memos
- Maintenance Deficiencies (Airworthiness Directives (AD), Service Bulletins (SB), etc.)
- Safety Trends
- Training Needs
Incident Management Situation Report (IMSR)
10 Standard Firefighting Orders, PMS 110
18 Watch Out Situations, PMS 118
10 & 18 Poster, PMS 110-18
NWCG Incident Response Pocket Guide (IRPG), PMS 461
RT-130, Wildland Fire Safety Training Annual Refresher (WFSTAR)
Interagency Standards for Fire and Fire Aviation Operations (Red Book)
Wildland Fire Lessons Learned Center