The Helicopter Crewmember (HECM) is responsible for supporting the ground-based operations of the helicopter mission in a rapidly changing, high-risk wildland fire environment. The HECM is a member of a helicopter module and reports to the Helicopter Manager (HMGB).
HECM Incident Position Description
NOTE: This Incident Position Description (IPD) is under development. Learn more about IPDs and other NWCG improvement efforts on our Systems Improvement Page. Please contribute to this effort by providing feedback via the Comment button on this page.
Helicopter Crewmember Duties and Responsibilities
- Constructs helispots, manifests, loads, and unloads cargo and personnel, marshals helicopters, rigs external loads.
- Assists Manager in performing daily inventory checks and in ensuring operational readiness of helicopter unit; performs tool, equipment, and vehicle maintenance and refurbishment; performs facility and cache maintenance.
- Participates in proficiency checks and drills.
- Participates in safety sessions and critiques; provides preflight safety briefings to passengers; ensures own and others’ safety and welfare in all aspects of job.
- Completes aviation forms, vehicle reports, and requisitions as required.
- Crew Time Report (CTR), SF-261 (Watch: How to correctly fill out a CTR)
Return to the top