Axe – Single Bit, 4 lb. w/Sheath
Storage and Shelf Life Checks:
Initial Inspection/Disposal Criteria
- Inspect for obvious damage to head, cutting edges.
- Inspect for large chips in blade or cracked head eye.
- Inspect for any modifications to head, such as rivets through side of head to hold handle.
- Inspect handle for twisted, bent or open grain, if handle has been shortened or is non-standard.
- Return to stock if item shows no signs of use and passes visual inspection.
- Refurbish if damage detected in the inspection process is repairable or handle is replaceable.
- Dispose of item if unable to repair.
- Wash head and handle.
- Wipe dry
- Sharpen tool to specifications according to tool sharpening gauge NFES# 000510.
- Tools should never be ground to the degree that the metal temperature raises high enough to remove temper, i.e. blue or burned edges.
- Ensure that blade corners are square.
- Paint tool head with rust inhibitor (cache option.)
- Sand handle if it is rough, chipped, dinged, or has any type of residue that did not come off during sanding.
- When replacing handle, shape eye for a snug fit. Use high impact plastic or wood-type wedges with appropriate type of epoxy. Metal wedges can be added only in the field as an emergency measure and should not be used during refurbishment.
- The bottom of the tool head should be within ⅜”--⅝” of the shoulder of the handle.
- Cut excess off handle make flush with tool head after inserting wedge into handle.
- Wipe handle with rag and linseed oil.
C. Tests for Performance
- On the head check that blades have not been tapered or rounded to the point that tools cannot be sharpened.
- On the handle check that it is not twisted, bent or is open-grain.
- Grasp the handle of the tool 2- 4” from the end with the head hanging down, but not touching the ground. Using a ball peen or similar hammer give the end of the handle a firm smack. Listen to the sound it makes. If the head is tight and the handle is free of defects, it will make a clear ringing sound. If it is loose or defective you will hear a dull thud, like hitting the end of a 2 x 4.
- For NFES #000707 install sheath (no NFES)
- Package 12 each in NFES #000338 carton (37” x 18” x 7”).
- For NFES #000352 install leather sheath NFES #000359, package per local cache requirements
- For NFES #000383 install sheath NFES #000815
- Suggested packaging is 6 each in NFES #000385 carton (7.25” x 9.25” x 26”).
Page Last Modified / Reviewed: