Can – 1 GL (3.8L), Gas, Safety, Vented
Storage and Shelf Life Checks:
Storage and Shelf Life Procedure:
If stored outside protect from rain, snow or any form of moisture.
Initial inspection/Disposal Criteria
- Inspect for fuel or mixes and dispose of properly.
- Inspect for rust that has pitted, is flaking or is lifting the interior surface and determine extent as some “flash rust” maybe present.
- Inspect for leaks or separation along seams.
- Inspect all threads on nozzles for serviceability.
- Inspect spring closure devices to be sure they are functioning properly.
- Inspect for can integrity and uniformity, i.e. collar crushed, large dents, punctures, modifications.
- Inspect all cotter keys and pins.
- Ensure that containers are properly marked and labeled.
- Ensure spark arrester screen is present, replace as necessary.
- Return to stock if item shows no signs of use and passes visual inspection.
- Refurbish if item has been used and/or damage is repairable.
- Dispose of item if damage is found and it cannot be repaired.
- Drain all existing fuel.
- With pressure washer and detergent wash outside of container.
- Use a rag and air hose or some means to dry the interior of the container.
- Turn upside down with lids off or open to dry.
- Spray inside of can lightly with WD-40 or similar product.
- Replace any defective cotter key or pins.
- Wipe down outside of container and repaint if necessary.
- Ensure container is properly marked and labeled. Color requirement for the cans are red with yellow markings. Label shall be FLAMMABLE LIQUID. Markings are dependent on fuel type and can be accomplished using NFES tags #000805, #000802, #000803, #000801.
- Ensure fuel geyser warning label is present and legible near spout area. Reference cache memo 17-2 below.
- Secure proper spout to top of can, if applicable.
C. Tests for Performance
Page Last Modified / Reviewed: