Can – Gasoline, Safety, 5 GL, DOT Approved
Storage and Shelf Life Checks:
Storage and Shelf Life Procedure:
If stored outside protect from rain, snow or any form of moisture.
Initial inspection/Disposal Criteria
- Inspect for fuel or mixes and dispose of properly.
- Using a mirror and flashlight, inspect the ceiling of the can for additional rust. Inspect all interior surfaces for rust that has pitted, is flaking or is lifting the interior surface. Spots larger than a quarter or collectively multiple areas larger than a quarter will render the can unserviceable. Some “flash rust” maybe present and is acceptable.
- Inspect for impacts or dents to corners and seams as separation and/or leaks may occur.
- Inspect all threads on nozzles for serviceability.
- Inspect spring closure devices to be sure they are functioning properly.
- Inspect for can integrity and uniformity, i.e. collar crushed, large dents, punctures, modifications.
- Inspect all cotter keys and pins.
- Ensure that containers are properly marked and labeled.
- Ensure spark arrester screen is present, replace as necessary.
- Return to stock if item shows no signs of use and passes visual inspection.
- Refurbish if item has been used and/or damage is repairable.
- Dispose of item if damage is found and it cannot be repaired.
- Drain all existing fuel.
- With pressure washer and detergent wash outside of container.
- Clean and dry the interior of the container utilizing evacuators, swabbing, and air drying. Using a forced air process is not recommended as excess vapors can create a hazardous environment.
- Turn upside down with lids off or open to dry.
- Spray inside of can lightly with WD-40 or similar product.
- Replace rubber O-ring in discharge port of pin-lock style gas cans.
- Replace any defective cotter key or pins.
- Wipe down outside of container and repaint if necessary
- Ensure container is properly marked and labeled. Color requirement for the can is red with yellow markings. Label shall be FLAMMABLE LIQUID. Markings are dependent on fuel type and can be accomplished using NFES tags #000805, #000802, #000803, #000801.
- Secure proper spout to top of can utilizing 6”- 8” for flat chain (¾” threaded spout NFES #007033 or 1” pin-lock or threaded spout NFES #000706).
C. Tests for Performance
Replacement parts available from:
National Sales Office
PO Box 1188 Salem, OR 44460
Fax order entry: 800–721–7216
Web site: http://www.safewayproductsinc.com/index.htm
Page Last Modified / Reviewed: