Food – Meals Ready to Eat (MRE’S)
Initial Inspection/Disposal Criteria
- Receipt inspection: Verify shipping carton for marking of MRE meals. The carton must show the following data:
N (National Stock Number)
Wt. _______ Cu_______
Contract No. ______________ Lot No._________
Name and Address of Ration Assembly Contractor
ITD Inspection test date
Fresh – Check Indicator
- Expiration of MRE meals will be based on a US Army food service inspector’s evaluation.
- The Fresh-check Indicator may be used for field inspections.
- Return to stock if MRE’s are in original unopened carton packaging, have no indication of damage, and are within expiration dates indicated on outside of carton.
- There are no refurbishment procedures for this item.
- Dispose of all loose, partial, or open MRE meals, and all unmarked MRE meals or meals not in original carton packaging.
- The meal will be removed from its container and rendered unusable and placed in a wetgarbage container.
- The water activated Flameless Ration Heater, for heating the MRE entrée, will be removed from its packaging and placed in a metal pail with enough water to submerge and deactivate. It may then be disposed of in your local landfill.
- Dust or wipe down outer carton.
- Inspect container for proper marking.
- Look for container damage, insect or rodent damage, product leakage, and foul odor. If damage is found, follow Initial Inspection/Disposal Criteria.
- Mark case/pallet with next inspection test date if no damage found.
- Extension of Expiration Dates requires US Army Food Service Inspector’s evaluation.
- Label appropriately and store accordingly.
Time/temp chart provided by the manufacturer:
Since about 1997, MRE cases have also included something called a TTI (time and temperature indicator) on the outside of the box to assist inspectors in determining if MREs are still good. There are two parts to the TTI - an outer dark circle and an inner light circle. As long as the inner circle is still lighter than the outside circle, the MREs are supposed to be good.