Helmet – Flight, SPH-5C, Regular, w/Bag
Initial Inspection/Disposal Criteria
- If helmet carton is unopened inspect carton for signs of crushing, drops or water damage. If carton is damaged, open and inspect helmet following remaining inspection processes.
- Visual inspection indicating use or missing parts (screws, visors, worn cords, etc.)
- Structural damage (cracked shell, visor housing, booms, etc.)
- Structural damage preventing repair and refurbishment (cracked helmet shell, salvage useable part and dispose of helmet shell)
- Visual inspection for SPH-4 helmets as flight helmets must meet requirements in Instruction Memo No. 96-2006 which states: SPH-4 Helmet should be converted to SPH-5 Helmets or disposed of.
- Return to inventory if helmet has been unused and carton does not show signs of damage.
- Send for refurbishment if any item found during inspection such as use or missing parts appear to be repairable
- Dispose of helmet if structural integrity is compromised. Salvage usable parts.
- Use general purpose cleaner. (Do not use bleach, paint remover, thinner, or acetone on flight helmet shell. It may cause damage)
All refurbishment will be conducted by certified personnel (trained by NIFC ramp services).
- Cord assembly
- Microphone cable assembly
- Replace missing or damaged parts
Replace thermoplastic liner (TPL) in SPH-5 TPL
- Size Regular NFES #003063
- Size XL- NFES #003064
- Size Small NFES #003065. Contact address below for further information.
Refurbishment and repair may be performed by the following:
National Interagency Fire Center Ramp Services
3833 S. Development Avenue Boise, ID 83705
Phone: 208–387–5529 Fax: 208–387–5785
C. Testing for Performance
- Re-test avionics if anything has been repaired or replaced
- Place flight helmet inside helmet bag
- Package 1 each in carton NSN 8115-00-079-8680, (12” x 12” x 12”).