Hose – Cotton Synthetic Jacket, 1 1/2” NH X 3’, Rubber Lined
Storage and Shelf Life Checks:
Initial Inspection/Disposal Criteria
- Segregate by NFES number.
- Visually inspect for burns, cuts, damaged fittings.
- Recycle brass fittings from disposed hose.
- Inspect gasket for cracks, if any replace.
- Return to stock if hose is banded and in unused condition.
- Refurbish if item passes initial inspection.
- Dispose of hose if it fails initial inspection or fails Testing for Performance. Good couplings should be salvaged from any hose not repairable.
A. Testing for Performance
- Replace gasket if necessary.
Connect female end of hose to pump or manifold:
- Confirm connection ends are not out of round and there is no damage to threads.
- All 1½” hose should be NH threads. All 1” hose should be NPSH threads
- Start pump.
- Make sure nozzles are open. Let all air escape from hose. Shut nozzles.
- Pressurize hose to 300 PSI and hold for 3 minutes.
- Walk the length of the hose inspecting for the following which indicate a need for repair or disposal: burns, cuts, or leaks between hose and couplings, at swivel portion of female coupling, and along the length of the hose.
Female and male couplings:
- Inspect for leaks where hose goes into coupling.
- Inspect for crooked coupling (easier to see when hose is charged).
- Shut down pump and relieve water pressure from system.
- Remove hose.
- Stretch out good hose to drain.
- Clean excess dirt from hose.
- Run hose through hose washer using clean water or clean water with a mild detergent or clean with high pressure wash.
- If detergent is used, rinse with clean water.
- Allow hose to drain and dry completely before rolling.
- Repaired hose shall result in lengths that are a minimum of 90 percent of original length.
- Good couplings shall be salvaged from disposed hose.
- Remove old expansion ring and coupling from hose.
- Remove unserviceable portion of hose, squaring end to be re-coupled.
- Utilize expander machine to insert new expander and coupling. Follow specific machine operating instructions.
- Refurbished hose shall result in hoses that are 90 to 100 foot in length.
- Following re-coupling, hose that has been repaired or recoupled should be retested at a test pressure of at least 50 percent greater than the service test pressure following Testing for Performance above.
- Roll in a single roll configuration with male coupling in center of roll.
- Secure roll (plastic band, string)
- Local cache option for storage.
- Roll, secure, and place on pallet.
Water Handling Equipment Guide, NWCG PMS 447-1 which is posted at https://www.nwcg.gov/publications/447-1
Page Last Modified / Reviewed: