Kit – Insulation, Shelter, 20’ Octagon
Storage and Shelf Life Checks:
Initial Inspection/Disposal Criteria
- Refer to NWCG NFES Catalog, – Part 1: Fire Supplies and Equipment, PMS 449-1, for a complete list of kit components. Replace missing parts as needed.
- Inspect roof and wall panels for any tears or rips and repair or replace as needed.
- Inspect windows and screens in wall panels. Repair or replace where necessary.
- Check for missing straps and Velcro on panels and replace as needed.
- Ensure panels are stenciled with correct NFES numbers.
- Inspect NFES 001065 aluminum container for damage to the hinges, clasps, handles, and rubber seal in the lid. Repair if possible; replace as needed. Ensure all proper markings and labels are clear and legible.
- DO NOT PRESSURE WASH. Wipe with damp cloth and mild detergent. A soft bristle brush and low-pressure garden hose may be used for tougher spots.
- Air dry completely before repackaging taking care that there is no moisture in between the insulation layers. Ensure that the Velcro is dry on all panels before folding and placing in proper container.
- Wash NFES 001065 aluminum container using damp cloth, garden hose, or pressure wash as needed. Allow to air dry.
- Repair any holes, tears, or rips as needed using Type A TEAR-AID Patch. If it requires an excessive number of patches, consider replacement.
- Re-stencil NFES numbers as needed.
- Often times, damage to the NFES 001065 aluminum container is not economical to repair. Repair when possible, replace as needed.
- Replace buckles, straps, and snaps as needed. Velcro and straps may require sewing into place. If damage to the underlying material is excessive, replace as needed.
C. Testing for Performance
- Fold neatly, preferably with the NFES stencil visible.
- Place folded panels in 001065 aluminum kit container. Use a truck seal or equivalent and seal the clasp.
Print This Page
Page Last Modified / Reviewed: