Pump – Barrel, For 55 GL Drum
Storage and Shelf Life Checks:
Initial Inspection/Disposal Criteria
- Check for fuel in hose and pipe. Dispose of fuel if present.
- Check hose and suction pipe for obstructions and remove if possible.
- Check discharge hose for cracking and signs of wear. Replace as needed.
- Inspect for missing parts and obvious damage to stem pipe, hose, or housing.
- Check bolts and plugs in pump head to make sure they are tight. Check seals for signs of leaks. Inspect stem pipe and hose for thread damage. Remove or replace as needed.
- Return to stock if clean and in unused condition.
- Rotate handle to make sure that gears move freely. Dispose of pump if froze up.
- Test and refurbish item if it passes visual inspections.
A. Testing for Performance
- Install drop stem pipe and discharge hose on to pump head and ensure that the threads are not damaged. If replacement parts are needed, use only manufacturer specific parts. Not all components are interchangeable.
- If available, install pump into barrel of fuel and pump from one barrel to another. Follow all safety regulations including wearing PPE. Ensure both barrels / containers are on a berm and are labeled with all proper hazmat labels. Consult with local safety personnel for guidance. Make sure pump does not leak, operates correctly, and has drained completely before removing from barrel.
If barrels of fuel are not available, secure plastic bag to the end of the drop stem and secure with rubber band (see photo below). Turn the hand pump and watch the plastic bag to see if the pump sucks the air out of the bag. This will ensure suction is working. Spray pump head and connections with soapy water and check seals for leaks.
- While cranking the hand pump, you should feel some resistance, but it should crank smoothly. Any catches during the operation could mean damage internally.
- Do not pump water through the system. This will freeze up the internal gears.
- Internal repairs to the pump are not recommended at this time.
- Replacement parts should be manufacturer specific. Interchanging parts could result in leaks and operational failure.
- Wipe pump head off with degreaser and rag. Do not submerge in water or allow water into pump head.
- Stem pipe and discharge hose can be cleaned separately from the pump head. Use degreaser and hose or pressure wash.
- Allow to air dry completely.
Remove stem pipe, discharge hose, and handle from pump head.
- Recommend 1 each in an NFES #000385 carton. (7 ¼” X 9 ¼” X 26”)
Page Last Modified / Reviewed: