Shelter – Fire, Large Size, Complete, M2002
Storage and Shelf Life Checks:
Initial Inspection/Disposal Criteria
Inspect the following:
Shelter – Do not open polyvinyl liner for inspection.
- Large size fire shelters were not produced until after 2006, so NWCG Equipment Advisory 22-03 does not apply.
- Check to ensure that the bag has been modified to include small slits under the pull tabs as per NWCG Equipment Advisory 21-01. Retro fitted bags will have an orange dot sticker on the bag. New bags will have the slits and no sticker.
- Inspect polyvinyl bag for cuts, puncture, or torn seams. If the bag has any anomaly that may affect the integrity of the bag or the shelter, remove shelter from service.
- Inspect that the red pull rings are unbroken and the quick-opening tear strip is sealed to the bag the entire length and is unbroken. Dispose of shelters with damaged or missing red tear strip.
- Look through bag at the shelter for tears in shelter material along seams. If any tears are evident in the shelter material or polyvinyl bag, or if significant gray discoloration of the interior of the polyvinyl bag has obscured interior inspection, remove shelter from service and dispose.
- Further inspection should include identifying PVC bags which have unreinforced yellow pull tabs. Per Cache Memo #07-4 “Polyvinyl Bag Retrofit” Some shelters may have a glued webbing reinforcement visible on the PVC bag yellow pull strap. Any shelter lacking webbing reinforcement (glued or stitched) should be removed from service.
- Fire shelters with a yellow re-bag label or lacking any label inside of the PVC bag should be removed from service.
- Inspect for cuts, tears, torn seams or flaps.
- Ensure that M-2002 Use Instructions (English on one side, Spanish on the other) are in the Use Instructions pocket on the front.
- Check for two belt clips and ensure they are working properly.
- Inspect the polyvinyl liner for cracks or tears.
- Return to stock if item shows no sign of use.
- Refurbish, clean only.
- Dispose of item if any damage. Any doubt as to the condition to the shelter, REMOVE FROM SERVICE.
- Return to stock if item is new or like new, passes inspection, and does not require refurbishment.
- Refurbish if item passes inspection but light cleaning is required.
Dispose of item if it fails inspection.
- Shelters that show signs of damage can be used as practice shelters. Clearly identify each as PRACTICE ONLY. This item may be used for practice when clearly marked as practice only.
- Shelter – Do not open polyvinyl liner for inspection.
Do not open polyvinyl liner for refurbishment.
- Clean the Shelter, Case, and Liner with a damp cloth.
- Brush dirt off heavily soiled case with a stiff brush.
- Remove oils from carrying case using a solution of warm water and detergent and brush.
- Rinse with clear water and let dry.
C. Testing for performance
- 10 each of NFES #000925, #000975, #000926, #000973 in NFES #008059 carton (24” x 12.5” x 10”).
- 100 each of NFES #000927 in suggested NFES #002006 carton (23” x 19” x 10”).
Page Last Modified / Reviewed: