Shovel – with Plastic Sheath, Size #1
Storage and Shelf Life Checks:
Initial Inspection/Disposal Criteria
- Inspect for damage to cutting head, step plate, and handle. Check for loose head and handle. Ensure blade is 3 ¾” from center to the edge at the base of the shovel and the shovel has not been modified, bent or distorted. Handle should be straight and free of cracks, chips, open grain, or residues (tar, sap, paints, etc.).
- Return to stock if item is clean and has not been used.
- Refurbish if item is unmodified and is repairable.
- Dispose of item if blade is less than 7 ½” wide, shows blue or burned edges, or has been welded, cut or otherwise modified and cannot be taken back to original shape and condition.
- Wash and wipe dry.
- Sand handle if it is chipped, dinged, rough or has tape residue.
- Wipe handle with linseed oil after sanding.
- Apply rust inhibitor to tool head. Local cache option for painting tool head. Black paint only.
- Sharpen cutting edge, using tool sharpening gauge NFES #000510
- Blade to be at least 7 ½ “wide. USE NFES #000510
C. Testing for Performance
- Install plastic sheath NFES #001853.
- 10 each in NFES #000337 carton (55” x 12 ½” x 11 ¾”).
Replacement handles can be procured at: https://www.househandle.com/
Most handles are non-chucked and can be replaced with part #4038
Few handles are chucked and can be replaced with part #4038C
Page Last Modified / Reviewed: