National Incident Feature Services
The National Incident Feature Services (NIFS) are an ArcGIS Server feature service implementation of the NWCG Event geospatial data standards and has been in use since 2017. The NIFS is designed for use on wildland fires of any size to improve standardization and compatibility nationwide. NIFS helps with streamlining data sharing, speeding deployment of web and mobile applications, and improving situational awareness for the firefighters. Because the NIFS is available to all wildland fire personnel, regardless of agency or affiliation, it can easily be shared near-real time at any time or location.
The NIFS is often referred to as a single entity but it is actually a suite of services hosted by the Fire Enterprise Geospatial Portal (EGP) that are all sourced from the same database. Access is restricted to approved wildland fire cooperators through an EGP account. Multiple services of the same data are needed to control the different permissions and access of multiple applications and user groups. See below for a description of the individual services.
The NIFS should be used by all Geographic Information System Specialist (GISS) with an internet connection. Editing the National Incident Feature Services and other hosted feature services is essential to the role of a GISS.
- Accessing the NIFS.
- Service List that makes up the NIFS.
- NIFS data Archive.
- Fall Off Rules implemented to improve service performance.
- Public Distribution of a subset of NIFS data.
The GISS will adhere to the following:
- Approval of features in the NIFS is the responsibility of the Situation Unit Leader (SITL). GISS should work with the SITL to ensure there is a process in place to review and approve data in the NIFS.
- The NIFS is a shared service, users with the GISS role will be able to view/edit all records on the service, including adjacent fires. It is critical that GISS only edit data for the incident to which they are assigned.
- The NIFS contains data for a calendar year. The exception to this is the Structure Triage feature service which maintains data from year to year.
The GISS will load data to and manage incident data within the NIFS. Any data edits should be synchronized with the NIFS. The GISS will work with the SITL to ensure all data within the NIFS is the most accurate representation of the wildfire incident. GISS will use appropriate care when working with the NIFS to ensure no adverse impacts to other incidents using NIFS.