Working with ESF #4 on Stafford Act Incidents: Incident Resources
Working with ESF #4 on Stafford Act Incidents: Incident Resources is a non-IQCS course provided as a resource for firefighters.
The purpose of this course is to prepare you to provide support and function effectively during an Emergency Support Function (ESF) #4 activation. The course introduces the basic authorities and frameworks that allow ESF #4 to function, basics of the emergency support functions, the purpose of ESF #4, and how ESF #4 prioritizes missions.
This course will provide a brief introduction to ESF #4 and when it is used. It will then explain the interactions between Incident Management Teams (IMTs) and ESF #4 and the management of incident resources.
The course includes 10 modules:
- All-Hazard Doctrine
- What to Expect
- Where and How Crews Fit In
- Responsibilities and Best Management Practices
- Working Within the Mission
- All-Hazard Aviation
- Course Summary
- Complete the online course.
- You will be directed to the National Fire Academy (NFA) Online website. You will need an NFA Online account to take this course; follow directions on the NFA Online website to obtain an account. Search for course title in the catalog and add the online course to your “To-Do-List.” The NFA Online learning management system will track your progress.
Chrome and Safari will not work with online content. Please read Browser Requirements below to learn about compatible browsers. Link to online training logon.
Chrome and Safari ARE NOT compatible with NWCG Online course content and will not track your progress. NWCG Online courses are Flash-based, so they only work in certain browsers and with certain settings enabled. You MUST use Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox or Microsoft Edge browsers. Please see the write up below for help in configuring you browser.
If you do not receive a green check mark to the left of the module name on the Course Content screen when completing a module, then your browser is not configured correctly or you are using an incompatible browser. At that point do not proceed until you have correctly configured the browser. Browser settings are normally accomplished at the user level. If you work for an agency you may have to contact your agency's IT Department for assistance in configuring the IE browser to access the online training.
Confirm the installed Adobe Reader is the current version for the browser you are using: https://get.adobe.com/reader/
Internet Explorer (IE)
Follow the three tutorial links below to ensure IE is configured correctly. Course progress tracking issues will persist in IE if the browser is not configured per this guidance.
- IE Pop-up Blocker Settings.
- IE Compatibility Setting.
- IE Trusted Site Setting. Note: USFS and BLM students, this setting is already globally set by your agency. Other agencies: If you are unable to access this setting you will need to contact your IT representative.
In order for Flash content to display correctly, you must ensure Shockwave Flash is installed and that "Always Activate" is selected and "Block dangerous and intrusive Flash" is not selected. A step-by-step process with screenshots is posted here.
Additional information regarding Flash can be found on Mozilla’s Firefox Support site.
Microsoft Edge can be found on most Windows 10 computers. However, Flash content will not work in all versions of Edge. In order to attempt an NWCG course in Edge, the Flash player must be enabled and Flash content allowed. Adobe provides instructions on doing both here.
If, after adjusting your settings, Edge does not run NWCG online courses, you will need to switch to Firefox or IE.
The following is the required software and plugins needed to access the online training using a Mac OS X. If your progress does not track while accessing the online training on a Mac, you will need to switch to a Windows PC that is correctly configured:
- Mozilla Firefox Browser is the only compatible browser for Mac users.
- Shockwave Flash must be installed per guidance provided above.
- Current Adobe Reader
Note: It may be helpful to print this page to use as a reference if you run into problems with your online course work not tracking.
For additional questions
Please go to the NWCG FAQ page.