Mountain Flying Training, 2013
Mountain Flying Training is a non-IQCS course provided as a resource for firefighters.
This online course addresses foundational mountain flying skills universal to safe and effective flight operations within mountainous terrain. This online course is designed for contract and government helicopter pilots.
- Complete the online course, including the final exam (estimate 1-2 hours).
- You will be directed to the National Fire Academy (NFA) Online website. You will need an NFA Online account to take this course; follow directions on the NFA Online website to obtain an account. Search for course title in the catalog and add the online course to your “To-Do-List.” The NFA Online learning management system will track your progress.
- Click the following link for additional information on national contracts for helicopters.
- Print the NWCG certificate of completion (instructions below). Keep the certificate as proof of successful completion of the course.
- Submit the NWCG certificate of completion with your Helicopter Pilot Qualification and Approval Record Application as directed.
Please read Browser Requirements below to learn about compatible browsers. Link to online training logon.
Attention All Students Taking NWCG Courses
You may be aware that many of the NWCG Courses (S190, S130, L180, etc.) on NFA Online Self Study are not working. We have learned that this is due to an update to ActiveX and the browsers/operating systems.
We apologize for the frustration this has caused all of you! We have been actively working on this issue since March 3rd. We have found a workaround using the CHROME Browser.
First before you begin, make sure you have the Adobe Flash Player installed and it is up to date. To download or update go to: https://get.adobe.com/flashplayer/ If your Flash Player needs updated, you MUST restart your computer before opening the browser.
If you have not already done so, please download the latest CHROME Browser and follow the configuration settings below.
- You must configure CHROME each time you launch the content. CHROME will not save these Flash Player configurations permanently. Sorry, we know it’s a pain but that’s the workaround for now.
- If you have already tried CHROME but it didn’t work, please clear your cache and cookies before proceeding with these configuration changes!
Log into your NFA/NWCG Online Self Study account using the CHROME browser and do the following:
Allow Site to Run Flash:
- Within CHROME, at the top right, click More then Settings.
- Under "Privacy and security," click Site Settings.
- Click Flash.
- At the top, turn off Block sites from running Flash (recommended). It should have "ASK FIRST" enabled now.
Launch the course you want to take and from the Content Window do the following:
To Run Flash on a Website:
- To the left of the web address, click Lock or Info icon.
- In the new tab, to the right of "Flash," click the Down arrow icon then Allow.
- Click “Reload” to apply the Flash.
1. Confirm the installed Adobe Reader is the current version for the browser you are using: https://get.adobe.com/reader/
2. To print the online course completion certificate, log into your NFA Online account.
From your Home Page select "View All" in the "Completed Work" pod.
3. Hover mouse over the title of the course, wait for pop-up and select "Print Certificate":