RT-130, Wildland Fire Safety Training Annual Refresher (WFSTAR)
Core Component(s): Other Hazards & Safety Issues
Estimated Delivery Time: 30 minutes; Video Length: 11:28
Recognize the role of the crew boss and how leadership, discipline, and training lead to successful crew operations. Determine how safety practices have evolved since this training video was made in 1962.
- Review the video and module tools.
- Review the Briefing Checklist and the Risk Management Checklist in the Incident Response Pocket Guide (IRPG), PMS 461.
- Consider additional activities and discussion questions pertinent to the location and agency.
Facilitating the Discussion
- Show the video.
- Facilitate a small or large group discussion using the discussion questions.
- What are the overall responsibilities of the crew boss that lead to a successful crew?
- Using the Briefing Checklist in the IRPG, what elements might have been missing in the briefing?
- Looking at the Risk Management checklist in the IRPG, what are some of your concerns if you were on this crew?
- Are the strategies and tactics different today than they were in 1962?
- How have safety practices changed over the years?
- Publication: Incident Response Pocket Guide (IRPG), PMS 461
- IPD: Crew Boss Incident Position Description
Additional Video Information
This video is also available as a download (Size 46 MB).
Note: For Chrome and Firefox, right click the word download and select Save Link As; for Internet Explorer (IE), right click and select Save Target As.