RT-130, Wildland Fire Safety Training Annual Refresher (WFSTAR)
Core Component(s): Current Issues
Estimated Delivery Time: 30 minutes; Video Length: 7:05
Examine how the technology used to fight fires has changed over the years. Mobile devices and apps on the fireline are the new norm.
- Review the video and module tools.
- Identify apps and intel websites that are pertinent to your location, agency, audience and be prepared to discuss and share them.
Facilitating the Discussion
- Show the video.
- Facilitate a small or large group discussion using the discussion questions.
- How has technological advancement helped you while on an assignment over the last five years? Have there been any negative impacts from this technology movement?
- What are you using as an electronic navigation device or compass? If it is a mobile device, can you show the class how to use it in less than five minutes?
- What websites do you gather intel from before departing for a fire assignment?
- What apps are you using on your mobile device while on fire assignments?
- What is the most impressive technology used on fire assignments that you have seen?
- Where do you see technological advances five years from now?
- Document: WFIT Mobile Technology Cheat Sheet
- Website: NIFC FTP Site - Incident Maps
- Website: Enterprise Geospatial Portal
- Website: Southern Fire Exchange Mobile Apps
- Website: Wildland Fire Information and Technology
Additional Video Information
This video is also available as a download. (Size 17 MB)
Note: For Chrome and Firefox, right click the word download and select ‘Save Link As; for IE, right click and select Save Target As.