S-203, Introduction to Incident Information, 2008
Minimum Instructor Qualifications
The Lead instructor must be a qualified Type 2 Public Information Officer (PIO2).
Unit instructors must be qualified as a Public Information Officer (PIOF).
Previous Certification Date(s):1998-02
|Title||NFES Number||Product Date||Type||Distribution||Previous Edition|
S-203 Instructor Guide
S-203 CD-ROM Course Materials
S-203 DVD "Dealing Successfully with the News Media"
S-203 Student Workbook
The NWCG Risk and Complexity Assessment (RCA) will replace the NWCG Complexity Analysis and NWCG Organizational Needs Assessment beginning in January, 2014. The following table illustrates the changes to this course. The RCA is available for download at https://www.nwcg.gov/publications/210.
An analysis and review of the existing course materials by the NWCG Training Development Program and Subject Matter Experts has concluded that instructors should add a unit that addresses how to manage social media.
Examples of topics that could be discussed in this unit include:
- Social Media Tools
- Agency Policies Related to Social Media
- Delivering Incident Information Using Social Media
- How to Integrate with Existing Social Media Platforms
- Monitoring Social Media for Incident Information That Others are Posting
The DVD “Dealing Successfully with the Media,” referenced in the Instructor Guide, has relevant content; however, it is outdated. Refer to the list of training resources (below) that may be used to replace this DVD:
- PIO Bulletin Board: There are numerous resources listed on this website related to social media, media interviews, guidance for media access, talking points, templates, and other topics. https://www.nifc.gov/PIO_bb/whats_new.html. http://www.nifc.gov/PIO_bb/whats_new.html.
- FEMA Online Course: Public Information Officer Awareness (IS-29) https://training.fema.gov/is/courseoverview.aspx?code=IS-29.
- FEMA Online Course: Social Media in Emergency Management (IS-42) https://training.fema.gov/is/courseoverview.aspx?code=IS-42.
- FEMA Online Course: Effective Communication (IS-242.b). This course not only addresses social media but also several other topics relevant to PIOs. It also has a good list of social media tools and a description of each tool. https://www.training.fema.gov/is/courseoverview.aspx?code=IS-242.b.
- National Disaster Preparedness Training Center (NDPTC) PER-304 https://ndptc.hawaii.edu/training/catalog/8.
Applies to 2008 Version.