Nationally advertised course sessions can be found on the NWCG Wildland Fire Learning Portal (WFLP). Log on as a guest to search for session offerings of this course and to view other public content. To search for a specific course, use the FIND LEARNING menu at the top of the page, then select UPCOMING COURSES. To view Geographic Area training schedules, select the specific GEOGRAPHIC AREA information using the drop-down menu at the top of the page. Contact your local Training Officer for more information about local course sessions.
S-236, Heavy Equipment Boss, 2013
This is a skill course designed to meet the training needs of a Heavy Equipment Boss, Single Resource (HEQB) on an incident as outlined in the NIMS: Wildland Fire Qualification System Guide, PMS 310-1, and the position task book developed for the position. Primary considerations are tactical use and safety precautions required to establish and maintain an effective dozer operation. A field exercise is required as part of the course.
- Identify the administrative duties and procedures required of an HEQB.
- Identify and demonstrate the heavy equipment inspection process and related duties of an HEQB.
- Demonstrate the actions required of an HEQB to safely and effectively complete an assignment.
- Discuss relevant information and methods for communication and tactics related to heavy equipment.
- Identify the process of preparing for an all-hazard assignment.
Personnel desiring to be qualified as Heavy Equipment Boss, Single Resource (HEQB).
Prerequisite Qualifications and Training
- Qualified as Firefighter Type 1 (FFT1).
- Satisfactory completion of pre-course work.
S-236 is available as classroom instructor-led training.
Course Components and Hours to Complete
|Course Component||Course Time|
Minimum Instructor Qualifications
Unit instructors must be qualified Heavy Equipment, Single Resource Boss (HEQB).
See NWCG Standards for Course Delivery, PMS 901-1, Instructor Standards for more information.