S-390, Introduction to Wildland Fire Behavior Calculations, 2007
This instructor-led course has pre-course work (estimate 8-10 hours) and a pre-selection assessment (estimate 2 hours). Additional information about the course can be found on the Overview page.
- Complete the pre-course work. (Note: The URL at the bottom of screen 55 of the tutorial entitled “S-390 Pre-Qualifying Test” links to the NFA Online website. Please use Internet Explorer or Firefox for the pre-course work.)
- (Note: Listed below are Attachment references that are broken links in the pre-course work. Use the following links for the course and exam.)
- (Note: The following document is the current document replacing 410-1 in the Attachment references in the pre-course work.)
- Print the Hellroaring map. You will use this map to answer questions on the test.
- Take the S-390 Pre-Qualifing Test by linking to the online training logon (below). You will be directed to the National Fire Academy (NFA) Online website. You will need an NFA Online account to take this course; follow directions on the NFA Online website to obtain an account and register in the NWCG domain. Search for course title in the catalog and add the online S-390 Pre-Qualifing Test to your “To-Do-List.” The NFA Online learning management system will track your progress.
Note: When registering in NFA Online to take the online Pre-Course Work Test, be sure to register in the “NWCG” domain in order to find the S-203 Pre-Course Work Test in the catalog.
- You must obtain a passing score of 70% or higher to receive a certificate of completion.
- Print the certificate and submit it as directed in your course selection letter.
- Use the reference materials listed below to complete the pre-course work and pre-qualifying test.
1. Confirm the installed Adobe Reader is the current version for the browser you are using: https://get.adobe.com/reader/
2. To print the online course completion certificate, log into your NFA Online account.
From your Home Page select "View All" in the "Completed Work" pod.
3. Hover mouse over the title of the course, wait for pop-up and select "Print Certificate":
- Basic Land Navigation, PMS 475
- Advantage Article
- Fireline Handbook Appendix B: Fire Behavior, PMS 410-2
- Fire Behavior Nomograms, PMS 436-3
- Haines AMS Preprint V5
- NWS Personnel Directory
- S-244 Pre-Course
- Safety Zones
These materials are for instructor-led delivery.
Click the individual links to download material or download all materials in one zip file (note zip file is 158 MB).
The Instructor Guide may contain references to appendices with presentations, exams, or ordering information. All materials from the course CD/DVD/USB are available here under the appropriate content title. While the CD/DVD/USB for this course is no longer sold through the cache, other materials might be. Reference the NWCG NFES Catalog - Part 2: Publications, PMS 449-2.
|Unit 1: Topography|
|Unit 3: USFBPS Fuel Models|
Course Coordinators, Lead Instructors or Unit Training Officers may email email@example.com for access to the pre-course work answers, 2C exercise, final group exercise, exam, and answer key. The request must come from an official NWCG partner email address.