S-404, Safety Officer
This course is designed to meet the training needs of a Safety Officer Type 1 (SOF1), Safety Officer Type 2 (SOF2), and Line Safety Officer (SOFR) on an incident as outlined in the NIMS: Wildland Fire Qualification System Guide, PMS 310-1, and the position taskbook developed for the position.
- Arrive at the incident, properly equipped, and gather information to assess the assignment and begin initial planning activities of a Safety Officer.
- Identify, prioritize, and mitigate hazards and risks on the incident.
- Plan, staff, and manage the incident safety action plan to meet the needs of the incident.
- Coordinate and plan with the Command and General Staff to assist in safely accomplishing the overall incident objectives.
- Ensure that the preparation of special reports for the final incident package and incident closeout with Agency Administrator is completed.
S-404 is available as classroom instructor-led training.
Course Components and Hours to Complete
|Course Component||Course Time|
Nationally advertised course sessions can be found by searching for S-404 on the National Wildland Fire Training website. Contact your local Training Officer for more information about local course sessions.
Prerequisite Qualifications and Training
- Qualified as Division/Group Supervisor (DIVS).
- Satisfactory completion of pre-course work.
Regional, state, or area
Associated Position Task Books