S-490, Advanced Fire Behavior Calculations, 2010
This instructor-led course has pre-course work and a pre-selection assessment (estimate 4-7 hours). Additional information about the course can be found on the Overview page.
- Complete the pre-course work (Parts 1-5 below). A practice test and answer key are provided with each part. Though you are not required to complete the practice tests for each part, it will be useful in preparing for the pre-selection assessment. These do not need to be turned into the course coordinator.
- After you have completed the pre-course work, follow directions in your pre-course work instructions or pre-selection letter on the next steps to take your pre-selection assessment. A passing score of 70% or higher on the assessment is required to be considered for placement in the class.
*These documents are historical and are not currently accessible; please contact NWCG if you need assistance having the documents read.
- Aids to Determining Fuel Model
- *Assessing Crown Fire Potential
- Basic Land Navigation, PMS 475
- Behave Plus Tips & Training
- Canopy Fuel Profiles
- Comparison of Crown Fire Modeling
- Fire Behavior Field Reference Guide, PMS 437
- Fire Behavior Nomograms, PMS 436-3
- Fire Ellipse Paper
- Fire Weather, PMS 425-1
- Firefighter Safety Zones
- How to Predict Spread and Intensity
- *Interagency Fire Use Module
- Inventorying Downed Woody Material
- NWCG Guide to Fire Weather Forecasts, PMS 425
- Predicting Behavior and Size of Crown
- Standard Fire Behavior Fuel Models
- Stereo Photo Guide for Canopy Characteristics
- Wildland Fire Incident Management Guide, PMS 210
Page Last Modified / Reviewed: