Web Platform Guidance and Support
NWCG supports member needs with three web-based platforms – the NWCG website, the NWCG learning portal, and FireNet. The NWCG website provides universal access to all NWCG public-facing content. The NWCG Wildland Fire Learning Portal (WFLP) is a learning management system intended to enable training providers and users to manage and track training information. FireNet is a web environment with the security of a .gov site that enables NWCG partners to meet business needs for collaboration. More information and direction on each of these platforms is provided below.
The NWCG website (https://www.nwcg.gov) provides universal access to all public-facing NWCG content, including the NWCG mission, membership, organizational structure, operations standards, position standards, training courses, and publications inventory. The website enables the NWCG mission by making NWCG standards and all associated materials fully interconnected, easily accessible, and readily available for reference. This includes:
- Standards publications,
- Incident Position Descriptions,
- Training presentations and supporting materials,
- Forms and checklists,
- Position Task Books, and
- How-to videos.
Use the NWCG website to publish and access all public-facing NWCG information. Provide input on all website content through the feedback channels available on the site.
Do not use the NWCG website for collaborative work that involves sharing draft files and information that is not yet ready for external reference; use FireNet for these purposes.
NWCG Wildland Fire Learning Portal
The NWCG Wildland Fire Learning Portal (WFLP) is a learning management system (LMS) intended to enable training providers and users to manage and track training information, including:
- Training schedules,
- Student nominations and registration,
- Self-directed (online) training courses,
- Pre-course work for instructor-led (classroom) training courses,
- Simulations, exams, and other instructor-specific materials,
- Local enhancements as per NWCG Standards for Course Delivery, PMS 901-1, and
- Student assessment and performance tracking.
POC: Annie Benoit
Help Desk POC: Karen Miller
FireNet is a web environment with the security of a .gov site. FireNet enables NWCG partners to meet their business needs for collaboration. FireNet facilitates intergovernmental teamwork by providing a collaborative workspace to message, schedule, share, review, develop, and store materials among federal, tribal, state, local, and territorial stakeholders in support of national wildland fire management.
Due to limited availability, FireNet accounts are prioritized for certain roles and positions. Other users may interact with the environment as guests.
Due to limited availability, FireNet accounts are being prioritized for dispatch centers and Incident Management Team support.
- Visit the FireNet website for more information about use of FireNet.
- Use FireNet for file sharing, document development, and other internal activities.
- NWCG committees establish standard business practices in the use and management of FireNet across functional areas, IMTs, and Geographic Areas to strengthen the operating system, limit repetition and variations by IMTs, and create consistency for all users.
- Questions about FireNet can be directed to firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Do not use FireNet for: committee/subgroup homepages; mission-related, external-facing content; or standards and associated training and performance support materials. Use the NWCG website for these.
POC: Katy O'Hara