The Fire Environment Observation Unit (FEOU) provides technical expertise to the Fire Weather Subcommittee in the development of fire weather observation standards and the management of data generated from fire weather operations.
- Develop and maintain wildland fire weather station standards and guidelines.
- Coordinate weather monitoring networks for maintenance, compliance, and related issues.
- Ensure wildland fire business needs are met for lightning detection, and lightning and fire weather data retention and storage.
- Represent Remote Automatic Weather Stations (RAWS) on the National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration’s National Environmental Satellite, Data, and Information Service (NESDIS) Satellite Telemetry Interagency Working Group (STIWG) in support of Geostationary Operational Environmental Satellite (GOES) utilization.
- Perform change management function for the Wildland Fire Management Information (WFMI) modules for weather and lightning.
- Manage the interagency RAWS web site (https://raws.nifc.gov/).