The Fire Shelter and Personal Protective Equipment (PPE) Subcommittee (FSPPES) provides interagency leadership and oversight in all areas of fire shelter and PPE program management.
- Provide input to the National Training and Development Program (NTDP) regarding fire shelter and PPE specifications.
- Support continuous improvement of fire shelters and PPE programs.
- Assist with the development of fire shelter and PPE training.
- Coordinate with NTDP and other pertinent entities to accomplish the subcommittee’s mission.
- Communicate pertinent fire shelter and PPE information effectively.
A comprehensive five year Fire Shelter Review was completed in May, 2019. The results determined retaining the use of the current fire shelter. The study indicated that the current fire shelter continues to provide the most practical amount of protection given the tradeoffs of weight, volume (bulk), durability, and material toxicity.
- Executive Board Memo 19-001: Acceptance of the NWCG Equipment Technology Committee recommendation to retain use of the current fire shelter
- ETC Memo 19-01: Outcome of Fire Shelter Review Project
- Frequently Asked Questions about Fire Shelters
- NIFC News Release: National Wildfire Coordinating Group Recommends Current Fire Shelter
- As part of the project review, The National Technology and Development Program conducted a nationwide firefighter survey.
The New Generation Fire Shelter
Video Length: 25:27
Refolding Your Practice Fire Shelter
Video Length: 3:40
- ETC-EA-2022-03: Performance Differences Between Pre-and Post-2006 Fire Shelters
- ETC-EA-2021-01: Fire Shelter PVC Bag Retrofit 2021
- Fire Shelter History
- 2017: Barcelona International Association of Wildland Fire (IAWF) Presentation
- 2011: Fire Shelter Inspection Guide and Rebag Direction
- 2009: Deploying Your Fire Shelter in a Body of Water
- 2006: What's New with the New Generation Fire Shelter
- 2005: Large New Generation Fire Shelter Now Available
- 2003: New Generation Fire Shelter Developed for Wildland Firefighters
- 2003: Fire Shelters Weaken Transmissions from Hand-Held Radios
Fire Shelter Deployments: Stories and Common Insights is a program developed by the U.S. Forest Service National Technology Development Program (NTDP) that will help you understand what you may experience in a fire shelter deployment.
Equipment reports looking into fire shelters and their use during the past few years are contained within many accident reviews and reports. These can be found at the Incident Reviews page of the Wildland Fire Lessons Learned Center (LLC). Specific reports are linked in the document below.
- 2022 Tech Tip – Modified Wildland Firefighter Flame-Resistant (FR) Shirt
- 2022 Tech Tip – Women’s Firefighter Pants Reintroduced
- 2013 Tech Tip – Changes for Firefighter Pants and Shirts
- 2009 Tech Tip – Design Changes for Firefighter Pants
- 2009 Tech Tip – Firefighters’ Leather Gloves Redesigned To Be More Comfortable
Relevant LLC Publications
- Fall 2011 Two More Chains – Your Fire Shelter: Would You Hesitate Deploying It?