Destruction Date Calendar
Notice to Users
We are now offering the Destruct Date Calendar in two versions, including a new simplified version purpose-built for incident management records. We are also continuing to provide an all records version, which can be used to calculate disposition dates for any federal records.
Incident Records Calendar
All Records Calendar
The IPSC Destruction Date Calendar calculates the disposition date of records.
For incident management records
All incident management records are closed (or "cut off") at the end of the Calendar Year in which the incident occurred.
- Enter the cut-off or closing year of incident's records in the "Ending Date, Year" box (note: month is always "12" for December). Use the form the form yyyy (for example "2016") for year.
- Choose either permanent or temporary retention from the "Retention Schedule" drop down. This is always 7 years for temporary records (Incident Administrative Files) and 20 years for permanent records (Incident History Files).
- Click the Calculate Date button to compute the records disposition date. The disposition date is calculated by applying the retention period to the closing date of the records. The disposition date will always be the first month of the calendar year produced by this calculation.
For the all records calendar
- Follow the instructions in your agency records schedule to determine the appropriate ending (or "cutoff") month. For example, many federal records are cut off at the end of the Fiscal Year in which they are closed.
- If this is the case, enter September in the “Ending Date, Month” field, and the year the records closed in the “Ending Date, Year” field, using the form YYYY (for example “2016”) for year.
- Enter the number of years of the retention period for the records specified in your agency's records schedule.
- Click the Calculate Date button to compute the records disposition date. The disposition date is calculated by applying the retention period to the closing date of the records. If the records are closed at the end of the Fiscal Year, the disposition date will always be October, the first month of the Fiscal Year produced by this calculation.