Standard Operating Procedures, Fire Prevention Education Team (FPET) Digital Library
The Digital Library (DL) is a database of wildfire prevention materials developed by fire prevention education teams (FPET) and wildfire prevention professionals. Each item requires review for appropriate content, Section 508 compliance, and approved for use by the National Wildfire Coordinating Group (NWCG) Communication, Education and Prevention Committee (CEPC) as posted.
Note: Not everything a FPET or wildfire prevention professional produces needs to go into the library; only unique items that are not already there or have an updated message.
The procedures for posting and reviewing on the FPET DL
Reviewers should represent a diverse set of agencies and must be a CPEC member. Four committee members will be selected to act as reviewers. CEPC member-reviewer assignment positions will be evaluated every year at the fall meeting when voting for other position elections occurs.
Posting to the site:
- People who will be posting to the site, or posters, must get a login/access from the NWCG Webmaster. The individual will be pre-approved by a reviewer or agency representative of the CEPC.
- Only unique items that are not already on the site or those that have an updated message should be considered for the DL. Not everything a FPET produces needs to go into the library. Posters should review the DL first to make sure the potential content does not already exist.
- Posters should receive step by step instructions from CEPC on posting and on Section 508 compliance.
- Posters should review the Section 508 compliance DL instruction guide prior to posting. The material that is initially posted and sent to be reviewed must be Section 508 compliant.
- The poster will mark the submission needs review and select a reviewer.
- Posters will fill out a webform describing the item.
- Reviewers will receive a login/access from the NWCG Webmaster when assigned this position in the fall of each year. Additional reviewers may receive access if the CEPC and NWCG Webmaster concur.
- The CEPC reviewer will ONLY check for content, uniqueness, and proper use of Smokey Bear if utilized, etc. They will NOT be checking for Section 508 compliance as each item should already be Section 508 compliant prior to uploading.
- If the material is not acceptable, the reviewer will mark the content draft and return it to the submitter.
- If approved for content, the reviewer will mark the submission pending published and send it to the NWCG Webmaster. Please, also send an email to BLM_FA_NWCG_Webmaster@blm.gov.
- The webmaster will check only for Section 508 compliance and if it has been approved by the reviewer. If only minor accessibility edits are needed, the webmaster will make them and then post to the DL.
- If major accessibility edits are needed, the webmaster will return the content to the original submitter and mark the content draft.
- The process starts over again.