RT-130, Wildland Fire Safety Training Annual Refresher (WFSTAR)
Core Component(s): Other Hazards & Safety Issues
Estimated Delivery Time: 30 minutes; Video Length: 3:50
This video is also available as a download. (Size 284 MB)
Note: For Chrome and Firefox, right click the word download and select Save Link As; For IE, right click and select Save Target As.
Crash Rescue Kit Contents
The Crash Rescue Kit (NFES 001040) contains:
- 1 bolt cutter, 24”
- 1 carrying case and sleeve
- 1 crash axe, serrated edge
- 1 crash axe, smooth edge
- 1 hacksaw frame
- 1 rescue knife, seatbelt type
- 11 hacksaw blades
- 1 door opener with claw tool
- 1 pliers, 12”, adjustable joint, angle nose
More information on the Crash Rescue Kit, Fire Protection, and Crash Rescue Procedures can be found in Chapter 12 of the Interagency Helicopter Operations Guide (IHOG), PMS 510.
Crash Rescue Kit ordering information can be found in the NWCG NFES Catalog - Part 1: Fire Supplies and Equipment, PMS 449-1.
The facilitator of this module should be familiar with helicopters and the Crash Rescue Kit.
Watch the Introduction to the Crash Rescue Kit video below. Discuss in small groups or as a class the topics below. If discussed in groups, share with the class. If possible, have a Crash Rescue Kit and a Crash Rescue Plan example on hand to show to the class.
Possible Discussion Topics
- Has anybody ever experienced a crash rescue? If so, please share the story.
- Where is the crash rescue plan located at your local unit?
- How do you train for a crash rescue operation at your local units? Give examples.
- If no training is provided, how can you implement training at your local unit?
- Train to specific make/model of aircraft/helicopter.
- Seek additional training with local experts.