RT-130, Wildland Fire Safety Training Annual Refresher (WFSTAR)
Core Component(s): Fire and Aviation Operational Safety;
Fire Shelters and Entrapment Avoidance
Estimated Delivery Time: 30 minutes; Video Length: 5:26
Raise awareness of the statistics of firefighter burnover fatalities and the commonalities associated with them.
- Review the video and module tools.
- Consider additional activities and discussion questions relevant to the location and agency.
Facilitating the Discussion
- Show the video.
- Facilitate a small or large group discussion using the activity and discussion questions.
- What is the leading cause of line of duty deaths to wildland firefighters?
- What is the average amount of time between blowup and burnover?
- What time of day do most burnovers occur? Knowing this, do you implement tactical pauses utilizing Take 5 at 2 to help assess the reality of your current situation?
- Are there other appropriate times that tactical pauses may be implemented?
- When taking a tactical pause, what elements of situational awareness should you consider?
Additional Video Information
This video is also available as a download. (Size 30 MB)
Download the .srt file for closed captioning (you may need to right click and Save As). For information on how to add closed captioning to a video, see this how-to page.
Note: For Chrome, Firefox, and Edge, right click the word download and select Save Link As; for Internet Explorer (IE), right click and select Save Target As.