RT-130, Wildland Fire Safety Training Annual Refresher (WFSTAR)
Core Component(s): Entrapment Avoidance, Fire Shelter
Estimated Delivery Time: 30 minutes; Video Length: 5:26
Raise awareness of the statistics of firefighter burnover fatalities and the commonalities associated with them.
- Review the video and module tools.
- Consider additional activities and discussion questions relevant to the location and agency.
Facilitating the Discussion
- Show the video.
- Facilitate a small or large group discussion using the activity and discussion questions.
- What is the leading cause of line of duty deaths to wildland firefighters?
- What is the average amount of time between blowup and burnover?
- What time of day do most burnovers occur? Knowing this, do you implement tactical pauses utilizing Take 5 at 2 to help assess the reality of your current situation?
- Are there other appropriate times that tactical pauses may be implemented?
- When taking a tactical pause, what elements of situational awareness should you consider?
This video is also available as a download. (Size xxx MB) - not yet available
Note: For Chrome and Firefox, right click the word download and select Save Link As; for Internet Explorer (IE), right click and select Save Target As.
Download the .srt file (coming) for closed captioning (you may need to right click and Save As). For information on how to add closed captioning to a video, see this how-to page.