RT-130, Wildland Fire Safety Training Annual Refresher (WFSTAR)
Core Component(s): Local Topics;
Incident Reviews and Lessons Learned;
Fire and Aviation Operational Safety
Estimated Delivery Time: 30 minutes; Video Length: 12:26
Revisit significant events and statistics from 2021 to identify lessons we must learn to prepare for the future.
- Review the video, module tools, and additional resources.
- Review significant events and statistics from 2021 for your local area.
- Print or display the current National Wildland Significant Fire Potential Outlook from Predictive Services.
- Optional: Print or display additional fire potential outlooks for your Geographic Area (links on Geographic Area Coordination Centers – Outlooks) or local response area (local dispatch center).
- Review the current COVID-19 direction from NWCG and the Center for Disease Control (CDC).
- From the Wildland Fire Lessons Learned Center (LLC) website, print or display the 2021 LLC Incident Review Summary and 2021 Year End Infographic.
Facilitating the Discussion
- Show the video.
- Facilitate a small or large group discussion using the activity and discussion questions.
Questions / Scenario / Directions
- Discuss significant events and trends from your local response area in 2021. How did the last year compare to a typical fire year? What is the outlook for 2022?
- What did you/your crew do to prevent the spread of COVID-19 in 2021? What changes will you make to continue to protect yourself/your crew this year? Identify and explore resources available to educate yourself and others.
- The LLC segment introduced two topics from the 2021 LLC Incident Review Summary: Proper Personal Protective Equipment Use and Proper Drip Torch Configuration During Burn Operations. Discuss the LLC Incident Review Summary Action Items presented in the module. Choose another topic from the 2021 LLC Incident Review Summary, review the information, and discuss how you/your crew can apply the Action Items in 2022.
- Website: Predictive Services – Outlooks (select National Wildland Significant Fire Potential Outlook)
- Website: Geographic Area Coordination Centers - Outlooks (select Outlooks page for your Geographic Area)
- Website: NWCG – Coronavirus
- Website: CDC – Coronavirus
- Website: Wildland Fire Lessons Learned Center – Incident Review Summaries (select 2021 LLC Incident Review Summary and 2021 Year End Infographic)
- Website: NIFC – Fire Information (Current information on national fire activity)
Additional Video Information
This video is also available as a download. (Size 578MB)
Download the .srt file for closed captioning (you may need to right click and Save As). For information on how to add closed captioning to a video, see this how to page.
Note: For Chrome and Firefox, right click the word download and select Save Link As; For IE, right click and select Save Target As.