The Risk Management Committee (RMC) provides national leadership in wildland firefighter risk management, health and safety. The RMC develops, promotes, and facilitates universal risk management principles that help firefighters and fire managers mitigate or eliminate the conditions that lead to accidents, illnesses, injuries and deaths of firefighters and other incident personnel.
- Develop nationally recognized and accepted standards, processes, and tools for risk management in the wildland fire services.
- Provide all organizational levels a foundation for effective risk management to improve situational awareness and decision making in dynamic high-risk situations.
- Evaluate identified safety issues and provide recommendations to the wildland fire community through established communications processes.
- Support efforts that will lead to increased knowledge and practical applications in the field of wildland fire risk management.
- Contribute to the standardization of information technology systems (such as FireNet, IROC, etc.) to collect and distribute data, processes, forms, and other operational elements.
- Fatigue in Wildland Firefighters Research Summary 2022
- NWCG Critical Incident Stress Management (CISM) Desk Reference
- 2022 IAFC & NVFC Firefighter Safety Stand Down
- OSHA Heat Illness Campaign
Prior Years Safety Grams
2021 | 2020 | 2019 | 2018 | 2017 | 2016 | 2015 | 2014 | 2013 | 2012 | 2011 | 2010 | 2009 | 2008 | 2007 | 2006 | 2005 | 2004 | 2003 | 2002 | 2001 | 2000 | 1999 | 1998 | 1997 | 1996 | 1995 | 1994 | 1993 | 1992 | 1991 | 1990 | 1989 | 1988 | 1987
Safety Officer Toolkit
Disclaimer: These products are under development. Safety Officers are encouraged to test these products and provide feedback. Approved NWCG standards and references are available on incident position pages.
- Operational Risk Assessment Worksheet (xlsm)
- Incident Strategic Alignment Process (ISAP) StoryMap
- Incident Emergency Plan (IEP) 2023
- 2023 Safety Officer Inspection Worksheet – Ground Support
- 2023 Safety Officer Inspection Worksheet – HeliBase
- 2023 Safety Officer Inspection Worksheet – Incident Base
- 2023 Safety Officer Inspection Worksheet – Kitchen/Serving Area
- 2023 DRAFT Safety Officer Position Duty Worksheet
Links of Interest
- USDA Risk Terminology Primer: Basic Principles and Glossary for the Wildland Fire Management Community
- Emergency Notification Information - Link to PMS 926 Fillable Form - Appendix A - Emergency Notification Information
- WFSTAR - Annual Wildland Fire Safety Refresher Training
- SAFENET - Front line firefighters tool that provides a way to be heard and get unsafe situations resolved
- Six Minutes for Safety Entries
- Wildland Fire Lessons Learned Center (LLC)
- NWCG Master Committee Charter