Home / Ad Positions / Helibase Manager Type 1 (6 or more helicopters)
Helibase Manager Type 1 (6 or more helicopters), HEB1
- Obtains initial information from dispatch, agency briefing, and supervisor: incident objectives, operations strategy, number and type of helicopters on location or ordered.
- Establishes helibase: site selection, identify hazards, identify land ownership, and identify communications needs.
- Identifies organization necessary to manage expected resources.
- Orders additional aircraft if required by operations group’s tactics.
- Participates in air operations planning.
- Prepares resource capability chart.
- Receives and responds to special requests for logistical and tactical missions.
- Completes daily review of staffing requirements and reassigns, orders, or demobilizes.
- Establishes and maintains helibase log.
- Identifies, inspects, approves and number all helispots. Arranges for construction. Considers limitations by type or mission and HIGE (hover in ground effect)/HOGE (hover out of ground effect).
- Obtains needed radios.
- Establishes and monitors dip sites.
- Develops and posts Medivac Plan.
- Develops and posts Crash Rescue Plan.
- Establishes flight following procedures.
- Identifies flight hazards (wires, cables, local wind, weather phenomena, etc.).
- Establishes fueling site and procedures.
- Posts Incident Action Plan (IAP).
- Establishes traffic pattern for aircraft and vehicles.
- Checks helitack crewmember qualifications.
- Develops helibase layout.
- Ensures duty limitations and day off schedules are adhered to.
- Provides all required safety equipment.
- Provides fiscal accountability.
- Completes daily cost summaries for aircraft and equipment (water trucks, fuels tenders, and other rental equipment).
- Reviews and approves crew time reports.
- Provides input for Air Operations Summary (aircraft availability, number of aircraft by type, hours flown, etc.).
- Shares information on helibase activities, maintenance schedules, breakdowns, etc.
- Establishes ordering procedures with helibase resources.
- Provides flight following
- Supports tactical missions.
- Provides for airspace coordination.
- Coordinates with other functional bases.
- Coordinates with supply unit.
- Coordinates with ground support unit.
- Coordinates with finance function.
- Receives mission priorities and develop schedule based upon IAP.
- Inspects, approves, and numbers helispots (location, limitations as to type of aircraft).
- Reviews and implements helibase checklist (medivac plan, crash rescue plan, flight following, flight hazards, communication plan, helibase layout, orders sanitation facilities, provides safety equipment, etc.).
- Briefs and debriefs aircrews and helitack.
- Checks pilot aircraft cards, helitack crewmembers qualifications.
- Establishes approach/departure paths for aircraft.
- Checks load calculations for accuracy, completeness, and currency.
- Coordinates with ASGS on input to Air Operations Summary, mission objectives/priorities, and maintenance schedules/breakdowns.
- Coordinates with ATGS on flight following and support to tactical missions.
- Manages resource/supplies dispatched to helibase.
- Insures helibase is posted and cordoned.
- Manages retardant mixing and loading operations.
- Insures helicopter fueling, maintenance, and repair services are provided.
- Insures dust abatement is provided and used at helibase/helispots.
- Insures security is provided at each helibase/helispots.
- Span of control involves 4 or more helicopters.
Position Knowledge and/or Requirements
- Qualified Helibase Manager Type 2.
- Ability to communicate clearly and concisely.
Page Last Modified / Reviewed: