MAFFS Assistant Liaison Officer, MALO
Is incumbent is responsible to the MAFFS Liaison Officer. This position is to assist in the operation and coordinate with using agencies and the military organization supplying MAFFS service. The MALO must be familiar with governing policies and procedures, as well as military operational assistance programs.
- Assists the MAFFS Liaison Officer in the day-to-day operational activities and learns to manage the MAFFS operation.
- Obtains information for and records the daily operational activities for the activation.
- Assists in the creation and daily updating of the Mission Summary Data.
- Helps in arranging logistical support for the entire MAFFS Operation.
- Obtains information and assists with the daily briefing for the MAFFS flight crews and incident air operations personnel.
- Ensures that prudent and legal procurement is occurring and that policy and guidelines found in the NWCG Stanadards for Interagency Incident Business Management and agency manuals are being followed.
- Works with the Airtanker Base Manager to ensure that all equipment is ready for daily operations.
Position Knowledge and/or Requirements
- Must be familiar with the approved annual MAFFS Operational Plan.
- Must have practical knowledge of standard procedures of the assignment, and have training and experience.
- Must have knowledge of military protocol and command structure.
- S-130 Firefighter Training
- L-180 Human Factors on the Fireline
- S-190 Introduction to Wildland Fire Behavior
- I-200 Basic ICS, S-260 Interagency Incident Business Management
- S-270 Basic Air Operations.
- Must have attended a MAFFS training exercise, FS briefing session with the flight crews and exercise personnel (approximately 2 hours) and flight-line familiarization at a training exercise with the flight crews (approximately 2 hours).
Guidelines are available, but have gaps in specificity.
The incumbent uses judgment in interpreting and adapting guidelines such as agency policies, regulations, precedents, and work directions for application to specific cases or problems.
The work includes various duties involving different and unrelated processes and methods.
Decisions as to what needs to be done depend on the incumbent’s analysis of the issues or particular phase of the assignment to be accomplished. The incumbent chooses the appropriate course of action from various alternatives.
The work involves conditions that must be analyzed to discern interrelationships.
Scope and Effect
The work involves the execution of specific procedures and tasks that comprise a segment of a broader effort.
The work products affect the reliability, readiness and capability of MAFFS flight crews to accomplish their missions.
Contacts are primarily with incident personnel, military members, state and other interagency personnel and officials.
Purpose of Contacts
The purpose of contacts is to plan, coordinate, or advise on work efforts, and to resolve operating problems.
The work requires moderate physical exertion for extended periods of time in fatiguing conditions.
The work requires moderate risks and discomfort, exposure to high temperatures, dust, smoke, and other weather related stresses.