Medical Unit Leader, MEDL
- Monitors and maintains supplies and personnel necessary to meet the complexity of the incident.
- Maintains security for the medical unit.
- Coordinates with the FACL to provide and maintain utilities, space, and facilities.
- Arranges for appropriate medical ground transport (basic life support or advanced life support).
- Arranges for appropriate air support.
- Anticipates special needs (personnel, supplies, equipment).
- Provides for biohazard handling and disposal procedures.
- Establishes contact with local medical facilities. Uses contact information in developing the Medical Plan.
- Establishes effective medical unit procedures for major medical emergency, non-emergency transport, and patient return from medical facility.
- Obtains a briefing from supervisor, Logistics Section Chief or Safety Officer.
- Provides for the safety and welfare of assigned personnel to the incident.
- Establishes and maintains positive internal and external interpersonal working relationships.
- Maintains unit log.
- Participates at logistics planning meetings and/or safety meetings.
- Determines requirements for medical supplies and personnel needs for unit and place order.
- Organizes and provides supervision for unit.
- Prepares Medical Emergency Plan (ICS206).
- Prepares procedures for major medical emergency.
- Coordinates actions with Compensation for Injury Specialist.
- Audit use of “over-the-counter” drugs being dispensed by medical unit to discourage improper use or abuse.
- Responds to aid requests in a timely and appropriate manner.
- Evaluates unit’s ability to perform patient assessments and care.
- Documents all actions taken using correct forms.
Position Knowledge and/or Requirements
- Background in medical services.
- Current certification as an EMT.
Page Last Modified / Reviewed: