The Fire Danger Subcommittee (FDS) provides national leadership to advance fire danger rating in support of effective fire management decision-making. The FDS is responsible to the Fire Environment Committee to establish and maintain standards and procedures for fire danger rating.
- Establish and maintain standards and procedures for fire danger rating, including those for Fire Danger Operating Plans and Fire Danger PocketCards.
- Develop and disseminate fire danger rating training and guidance.
- Provide leadership in the National Fire Danger Rating System and associated decision support applications, including Weather Information Management System, FireFamily Plus, and the Wildland Fire Assessment System.
National Fire Danger Rating System 2016
At the September 17th 2014 NWCG Executive Board meeting, three updates to the United States National Fire Danger Rating System (NFDRS) were approved.
- Incorporate the Growing Season Index (GSI) to compute live fuel moistures;
- Incorporate the Nelson Model to compute fine dead fuel moisture; and
- Reduce the number of fuel models in the NFDRS.
View a PowerPoint presentation narrated by the Fire Danger Subcommittee Chair Jon Wallace; developed to explain the case for change to the NFDRS.