The Helicopter Short-Haul Unit (HSHU) provides national leadership in helicopter short-haul operations for the NWCG member agencies. The HSHU promotes and enables safe, effective, and standardized short-haul operations. Primary objectives include:
- Promote and enable compliance with the Helicopter Short-Haul Handbook (351 DM 1).
- Identify, discuss, and evaluate best practices and lessons learned with short-haul operations (procedures, equipment, standards, safety).
- Disseminate information and recommended actions to participating agencies.
- Forward program recommendations to NWCG Interagency Helicopter Operations Subcommittee (IHOPS).
- Coordinate review and revision to the Helicopter Short-Haul Handbook (351 DM 1).
- Provide assistance with the development of new short-haul programs.
- Compile annual training and operational statistics for helicopter short-haul programs.