The Interagency Aerial Ignition Unit (IAIU) provides national leadership in all areas of aerial ignition operations, equipment, and management. The IAIU promotes and enables, safe, effective, and standardized aerial ignition operations through the development and dissemination of common technical and operational standards. Primary objectives include:
- Develop and maintain a primary aerial ignition standards document such as the NWCG Interagency Aerial Ignition Guide (PMS 501).
- Establish and implement processes for evaluating aerial ignition operations, equipment and management issues. Identify problems and recommend solutions.
- Provide oversight of contractor and agency equipment and procedural compliance.
- Review and approve new aerial ignition equipment, accessories and modifications.
- Solicit and address field input on all areas of aerial ignition operations, including safety/regulatory compliance, performance, personnel qualifications, training needs, and equipment concerns.
- Work with the NWCG Training Development Program to develop aerial ignition training products.