The Interagency Aerial Ignition Unit (IAIU) provides national leadership in all areas of aerial ignition operations, equipment, and management. The IAIU promotes and enables, safe, effective, and standardized aerial ignition operations through the development and dissemination of common technical and operational standards.
- Develop and maintain a primary aerial ignition standards document such as the NWCG Standards for Aerial Ignition, PMS 501.
- Establish and implement processes for evaluating aerial ignition operations, equipment and management issues. Identify problems and recommend solutions.
- Provide oversight of contractor and agency equipment and procedural compliance.
- Review and approve new aerial ignition equipment, accessories and modifications.
- Solicit and address field input on all areas of aerial ignition operations, including safety/regulatory compliance, performance, personnel qualifications, training needs, and equipment concerns.
- Work with the NWCG Training Development Program to develop aerial ignition training products.
Agency-based Position Task Books
- Helitorch Manager (HTMG)
- Helitorch Mixmaster (HTMM)
- Helitorch Parking Tender (HTPT)
- Plastic Sphere Dispenser Operator (PLDO)
Helitorch Red Dragon Training
- Red Dragon Cross Training PowerPointiaiu-Red-Dragon-Cross-Trg.pptx
- Red Dragon Cross Training Syllabus PDF
- Red Dragon Training 1 PowerPoint
- Red Dragon Training Syllabus PDF
Plastic Sphere Dispenser Training