The National Fire Equipment System Subcommittee (NFESSC) provides national leadership in wildland fire equipment and supply management. Primary duties include:
- Identify equipment and supplies that should be maintained to a national standard.
- Assist the user community in identifying additional equipment and supplies to be provided through the national cache system.
- Provide guidance on developing Standard Operating Procedures (SOPs) between National Interagency Support Cache managers, the Technology and Development Centers, Kit and Refurbishment Units, and the Defense Logistics Agency (DLA).
- Manage the additions and deletions of National Fire Equipment System (NFES) items and product deficiency issues.
- Prepare and communicate NFES equipment issues through Cache Memos.
- Recommend to ETC proposed modifications in standards for fire supplies as it pertains to cache items, kits, or accessories that are utilized nationally or by more than one Agency.