The Smoke Managers Subcommittee (SMSC) provides relevant technical, administrative, and organizational information and feedback for operational smoke managers, forecasters and modelers. Primary objectives include:
- Identify criteria for and assist with the development of the skills necessary for successful decision-making within the context of smoke managers for wildland fires.
- Develop communication protocols for both wildfires and prescribed fires.
- Develop consistent recommendations for wildland fire management which account for the air quality impacts of planned and unplanned ignitions.
- Develop, publish, and maintain relevant products, handbooks and guides.
- Develop webinars, briefing papers, presentations, etc., to distribute the information.