The Smoke Training Subcommittee (STS) provides national leadership on training courses and materials related to wildland fire smoke, air quality and emissions. This includes developing and incorporating smoke awareness and management in training courses, manuals, guides, handbooks, standards and practices. Primary objectives include:
- Develop training materials for land managers (burners, fire personnel and line officers) and air quality regulators aimed at balancing land management needs, which includes the use of fire, while addressing air quality (public health, welfare and safety) goals.
- Developing new training material and review and update existing training materials and training courses related to smoke management and emission’s that reflects the latest in air quality regulations.
- Develop, publish, and maintain relevant products.
- Develop and maintain an inventory of smoke management resources and tools.
- Coordinate with stakeholders to provide information, assistance, and subject matter expertise in smoke management.