The Smoke Training Subcommittee (STSC) provides national leadership on training courses and materials related to wildland fire smoke, air quality and emissions. This includes developing and incorporating smoke awareness and management in training courses, manuals, guides, handbooks, standards and practices.
- Develop training materials for land managers (burners, fire personnel and line officers) and air quality regulators aimed at balancing land management needs, which includes the use of fire, while addressing air quality (public health, welfare and safety) goals.
- Developing new training material and review and update existing training materials and training courses related to smoke management and emission’s that reflects the latest in air quality regulations.
- Develop, publish, and maintain relevant products.
- Develop and maintain an inventory of smoke management resources and tools.
- Coordinate with stakeholders to provide information, assistance, and subject matter expertise in smoke management.
Smoke Management Guides and Resources at frames.gov
Smoke Management and Air Quality for Land Managers Online Learning Resource
Smoke: Knowing the Risks
Review the WFSTAR Module, Smoke: Knowing the Risks
Observations from Recent Prescribed Fire Reviews
Review the WFSTAR Module, Observations from Recent Prescribed Fire Reviews
Smoke, Roads, and Safety
Review the WFSTAR Module, Smoke, Roads, and Safety