RT-130, Wildland Fire Safety Training Annual Refresher (WFSTAR)
Category: Case Studies
Core Component(s): Incident Reviews and Lessons Learned;
Fire and Aviation Operational Safety;
Human Factors, Communication and Decision Making;
Fire Shelters and Entrapment Avoidance
Estimated Delivery Time: 2 hour; Video Length: Part 1: 39:50, Estimated Delivery Time: 2 hour; Video Length: Part 2: 41:52
Review the sequence of events that led to tragedy on the South Canyon Fire and discuss significant lessons learned.
- Review the two videos and module tools.
- Consider additional activities and discussion questions pertinent to the location and agency.
Facilitating the Discussion
- Show the two videos.
- Facilitate a small or large group discussion using the activity and discussion questions below.
- Guide discussion based on the Downhill Checklist in the Incident Response Pocket Guide (IRPG), PMS 461. Provide copies of the IRPG for students to utilize and answer questions.
- Which hazardous conditions for downhill fireline construction were present?
- What supervisory/overhead personnel and crew supervisors discussed the situation prior to committing crews to the assignment?
- What supervisory/overhead personnel stayed with the job?
- Was the fireline scouted? When was the decision made to engage the fire?
- Was there direct contact between the crew(s) and a lookout(s) that could see the fire?
- Was there communication between all personnel from top to bottom?
- Was there rapid access to a pre-identified identified safety zone?
- Was direct attack being used?
- Was the fireline in or adjacent to a chute or chimney?
- Was the fireline anchored at the starting point on top?
- Was the bottom of the fire being monitored?
- What other tactical alternatives could have been used on this fire?
- Consider the casual factors identified in Part 1; then summarize the significant lessons to be learned from this case study.
- Publication: Incident Response Pocket Guide (IRPG), PMS 461
- Document: Fire Behavior at South Canyon
- Document: South Canyon Fire Accident Investigation Report
Additional Video Information
Note: For Chrome and Firefox, right click the word download and select Save Link As; for Internet Explorer (IE), right click and select Save Target As.