RT-130, Wildland Fire Safety Training Annual Refresher (WFSTAR)
Core Component(s): Current Issues, Other Hazards & Safety Issues
Estimated Delivery Time: 30 minutes; Video Length: 10:58
Increase understanding of national fire radios, repeaters, frequency utilization, and radio maintenance.
- Review the video and module tools.
- Consider additional activities and discussion questions pertinent to the location and agency.
- Consider having handheld radios available to demonstrate proper usage.
Facilitating the Discussion
- Show the video.
- Facilitate a small or large group discussion using the discussion questions.
- Is annual maintenance performed on your radios? If so, where does the maintenance take place?
- What do you and your crew do before fire season to refresh on proper radio usage?
- Have you been on a large incident with frequency crossover issues from another incident? How was this mitigated?
- If a radio frequency changed and needed to be hand-programmed into your radio during the middle of a shift, would you know how?
- Have you been on an incident where someone’s antenna broke or fell out of their radio? What was the outcome?
- Document: Bendix-King DPHX Programming & Cloning Instructions
- Document: Bendix-King KNG Training
- WFSTAR Module: Tutorial: Cloning Bendix-King DPH
- WFSTAR Module: Tutorial: Cloning Bendix-King KNG
- WFSTAR Module: Tutorial: Programming Bendix-King DPH
- WFSTAR Module: Tutorial: Programming Bendix-King KNG
- WFSTAR Module: Tutorial: Programming Bendix-King Mobile-Radio
Additional Video Information
This video is also available as a download. (Size 144 MB)
Note: For Chrome and Firefox, right click the word download and select Save Link As; for Internet Explorer (IE), right click and select Save Target As.
Download the .srt file (not yet available) for closed captioning (you may need to right click and Save As). For information on how to add closed captioning to a video, see this how to page.