The Interagency Airtanker Base Subcommittee (IABS) provides national leadership in all areas of interagency airtanker base operations. The IABS develops and disseminates operational standards that promote safe, secure, effective, efficient airtanker base operations. These standards include facility and equipment requirements, operational and administrative procedures, and personnel qualifications and training.
- Provide technical assistance regarding airtanker base operations.
- Promote cooperation and standardization in interagency airtanker base operations.
- Identify airtanker base issues, develop solutions, and recommend corrective actions to the National Interagency Aviation Committee (NIAC).
- Support standardized training for airtanker base operations and provide leadership in training course development, implementation, evaluation, and revision.
- Ensure that airtanker base standards are consistent with member agency procedures, practices, and expectations.
- Serve as a central source of information, guidance, and support for national and geographic area airtanker base decisions and operations.
- Provide contracting technical assistance and support as requested.
Save the Date
- What: The National Airtanker Base Manager Refresher/ SEAT
- When: January 30th – February 1st
- Where: NAFRI in Tucson, Arizona
2022 IABS Update
Have a comment?
Airtanker Frequently Asked Questions
Read our airtanker frequently asked questions
Comments for both of these publications:
Submit to your agency representative on IABDU
Submit to your agency representative on SABOU
Interagency Aviation Training: https://www.iat.gov/
2023 Airtanker AMI Return to Contract Availability List (updated 07/23)
Airtanker Loading Procedures and Risk Assessments
IABS Risk Assessments
- IABS Large Airtanker Operations Risk Assessment (xlsx)
- IABS Airtanker Base Operations Risk Assessment (xlsx)
- IABS SEAT Operations Risk Assessment (xlsx)
10 Tanker Air Carrier Documents
Aero-Flite, Inc. Documents
- Simultaneous Loading and Fueling Procedures
- Procedures for Hot Loading Retardant on Avro RJ-85 Airtanker
- Risk Assessment for Hot Loading RJ-85 Airtankers (xlsx)
- Simultaneous Loading of Fuel and Retardant Avro RJ-85 (xlsx)
- Q400 AT Loader Training
- Q400 Hot Loading Deliberate Risk Analysis
- Q400 Hot Loading Procedures
- Q400 Hot Loading Risk Assessment Chart
- Q400 Simultaneous Fueling and Retardant Loading Procedures
- Q400 Simultaneous Loading Deliberate Risk Analysis
- Q400 Simultaneous Loading Risk Assessment Chart
Coulson Aviation Documents
Erickson Aero Tanker Documents
- Simultaneous Retardant and Fuel Loading of the MD87 Fire Fighting Tanker
- Erickson Aero FCOM Excerpt
- Erickson Aero Tanker Hazard Index and Risk Register
Neptune Aviation Services Documents
- Hot Retardant Loading Safety Training for the BAE 146
- Simultaneous Retardant Loading and Fueling Safety Training
- Maintenance Manual Danger Zones BAE 146
- Hazard and Risk Register Hot Loading (xlsx)
- Hazard and Risk Register Simultaneous Loading (xlsx)
IABS thanks 10 Tanker Air Carrier, Aero-Flite, Inc., Coulson Aviation, Erickson Aero Tanker, and Neptune Aviation Services for allowing NWCG to post this material.