The Position Naming Board (PNB) provides national leadership to maintain incident management position title and mnemonic consistency throughout the wildland fire community.
- Establish business rules and processes for managing the position list in the system of record.
- Maintain definitions of titles and associated mnemonics.
Request for Change
The NWCG Position Naming Board (PNB) is the authority for the approval of all position codes and position titles assigned for each position for incident management mobilization that are utilized by the wildland fire community. All position codes and position titles additions or modifications must be PNB approved prior to utilization in the national mobilization system.
Use this form to submit the following:
- Request new position title and position code
- Modification to existing position title and/or position code
- Notify of inactivation of an existing position
All change requests must be submitted via the online request form.
All position code and position title requests submitted to the PNB for consideration must adhere to the NWCG PMS Data Standards for Position Codes and Position Titles.
All requests must be validated by the submitter's Operations and Training Committee (OTC) agency representative to ensure the request meets the need of the agency.
- Requests submitted directly to the PNB prior to OTC agency representative validation will be sent to the representative for validation. No action by the PNB will occur until validated/approved by the representative.
- Requests submitted to the PNB by an OTC agency representative is assumed to be agency validated and will be addressed by the PNB at the next scheduled meeting.
Requests will typically be addressed at the next scheduled PNB meeting.
Once a decision has been reached, the PNB chair will inform the requester of the decision and document the decision on the RFC form.
- Email Address: Enter the email address of the person submitting the request.
- Requesting Change: Select the appropriate agency or select the NWCG Committee requesting the change. For the selection of State or NWCG Committee, indicate which one at the next screen.
- Requester Information: Please provide the name, agency, home unit, and telephone number of the person initiating the request so the board may make contact for additional information, if necessary.
- Request Type
- New position: Enter requested new position title and position code
- Change to existing title and/or code: Identify current position and identify requested change.
- Inactivation of existing position: Identify position requested to be inactivated and the effective date.
- Description of the Proposal
- Position Description: Detailed description of the positions duties and responsibility when assigned to an incident.
- Description of Issue and Reason for Change: Describe the issue the proposal is intended to address or reason for the change.
- Qualification Guides and Systems Affected: Identify the qualification documents and the applications that will be affected.
- Supporting Documents: Is there supporting documentation that needs to be submitted to support request? If yes, submitter will be contacted for the document(s) after request is submitted.
This list, updated 09/18/20, represents all PNB approved positions being, or have been, utilized by the wildland fire community for incident management mobilization.