Frequently Asked Questions

photo of 2 firefighters on the fireline with flames in the backgroundNWCG is assembling a list of Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs). If you have a suggestion for a question, please contact the webmaster at:

General Questions

Publications Questions

You can find everything you need to place an order on our website at the "Catalogs and Ordering Links" web page.

All orders are made and placed through the Great Basin Cache. If you have any questions, please contact their supply desk at (208) 387-5104 or

All orders are made and placed through the Great Basin Cache. If you have any questions, please contact their supply desk at (208) 387-5104 or They are the best source to answer your questions.

Training Questions

Students successfully completing an NWCG course sponsored by an NWCG member agency will receive an NWCG certificate (for a list of member agencies go to NWCG Home Page.  Educational institutions, contractor associations, and non-member agencies may issue the NWCG course certificate if their lead instructor is an authorized representative of an NWCG member agency OR they have a formal agreement established with an NWCG member agency. Other instructors and entities that do not fall under this guidance can teach NWCG courses but would need to generate their own certificate to issue to the student. In that case it is recommended that non-NWCG generated certificate include: the NWCG course name, hours, date taught, student's name, and signed and printed qualified instructors name and contact information.

You can find where training courses are being offered and other training course information on the National Wildland Fire Training link at National Wildland Fire Training page.  

Unfortunately, there is no master database for course certificates. Reach out to the agency or location where you took the course to see if by chance they kept a copy and/or record. If you have held a redcard at some point, you can try to get a copy of your IQCS or IQS master record, which shows course completions. You would have to go to the person who printed your redcard to get that information.

NWCG does not have a standard. It is up to the agency, or entity you work for to determine.

Position task books can be initiated before attendance and successful completion of required training. However, Trainees cannot become fully qualified for the position until required training has been successfully completed. A Trainee must be qualified in the prerequisite position(s) before a PTB can be initiated.

You can read about instructor qualifications and requirements in the NWCG Field Manager's Course Guide (PMS 901-1)

You can find training materials to order on our website at Catalogs and Ordering Quicklinks.  Training materials are listed in the NWCG NFES Catalog - Part 2: Publications, PMS 449-2. All orders are placed through the Great Basin Cache. If you have any questions, please contact their supply desk at (208) 387-5104 or

The Wildland Fire Safety Training Annual Refresher (WFSTAR) is a year-round program that provides training for wildland firefighters in order to maintain currency. Refresher materials are developed throughout the year and posted on the website when completed.  You can check the website any time for updates.  New fire and safety topics will be indicated with a silver star with "new".  Please use both existing and new modules when developing your Refresher training.  Refer to the WFSTAR website for additional information.

Online Training Questions

The NWCG NFA Online learning management system is an HTML 5 environment in which JavaScript communications is totally dependent on the user's browser capability. Please confirm your PC Internet Explorer (IE) browser configuration with the Workstation Requirements Link.   You will continue to have a tracking issue if the IE browser is not configured per this guidance.  If using Google Chrome, Microsoft Edge, or Safari browsers, you will need to switch to the IE or Mozilla Firefox browser.

To print the online course completion certificate, log into your NFA Online account.  From your Home Page select "View All" in the "Completed Work" pod.

Find the course for which you wish to print the course completion certificate and select the print icon to the right of the course title or hover over course name, wait for pop-up and select "Print Certificate”.

No, this course is an instructor-led course.  The required number of hours is determined by the agency. Please refer to the NWCG Wildland Fire Qualification System Guide (PMS 310-1) for positions that require Annual Fireline Refresher Training.

Other Questions

Unfortunately, we do not have the ability to help you with this as the NAP is run by the US Forest Service. Please contact their helpdesk:

Mistakes in content, missing information, bad links, etc.

InciWeb is an interagency system that provides information about wildfires, prescribed burns, floods, hurricanes, and other events. An agency and/or incident management team assigned to the incident is responsible for initiating and maintaining information on InciWeb. For questions and/or comments on a specific incident, please contact the Incident Contacts listed on each page of an incident.

Technical problems, suggestions to make program better, java-script errors, etc.

Please contact the following individuals:

  1. Jennifer Jones – FS Public Affairs (
  2. Christine Schuldheisz – FS Business Lead for Inciweb (
  3. Lani Williams – FS Project Manager for Inciweb (

Our policy on linking to other websites is listed on our website notices page.  We follow the policies for the Department of Interior and the Department of Agriculture; both are referenced on this page. If you feel your site meets these criteria, please email the webmaster at

Airtanker Questions

Use the NIFC Large Fire Support code.

If the CLIN has not flown a minimum of 30 minutes in a 15 day lookback period the flight would be a revenue flight. If a relief crewmember is coming in who is not proficient (same requirements as the CLIN [Contract Line Item Number]) but the CLIN is, the flight would be a non-revenue flight.

If possible, have the crew come on prior to the start time and complete the proficiency flight. If they choose to not come in early and the airtanker receives a dispatch prior to the proficiency flight, the airtanker would be unavailable until the proficiency flight is completed. Call the airtanker COR (Contracting Officers Representative) listed on the most current Schedule of Items for additional clarification on proficiency flights.

Yes. Document the starting and ending fuel amounts and notify the COR and the DLA/Air Card (Defense Logistics Agency) program.

Notify dispatch, local GACC (Geographic Area Coordination Center), AMI (Aircraft Maintenance Inspector), national aircraft/fixed wing coordinator, National Airtanker Program Manager and COR. Dispatch and the GACC should be notified immediately and the remainder of the notifications need to happen as soon as practical. A group text or email would suffice. The same notifications need to be made when the airtanker has been returned to contract availability by the AMI.

Whether on 9 or 14 hour availability UA is assessed until either the aircraft is returned to contract availability by the AMI or the end of the 9 or 14 hour availability day whichever comes first. For 14 hour availability, if the aircraft is unavailable for any part of the 14 hours, even if the aircrews are not on site or even if it is well past sunset, UA will be assessed until the airtanker is returned to contract availability by the AMI.

Utilize the DLA rate at the location the airtanker is leaving to go to company headquarters.

State airtankers would be sent to State fires and may load and return without the federal airtankers being included in the rotation. Federal airtankers would be sent first to Federal fires and the state airtankers “may” be added to the rotation. There is no requirement saying that either state or federal airtankers must be included in the rotation of the other agencies fires. You may contact your local GACC and request additional Alpha numbers for airtankers to be included in the rotation, but the ordering agency has the authority to deny the request.

Page Last Modified / Reviewed: