RT-130, Wildland Fire Safety Training Annual Refresher (WFSTAR)
Core Component(s): Local Topics;
Incident Reviews and Lessons Learned
Estimated Delivery Time: 1 hour; Video Length: 13:35, Estimated Delivery Time: 1 hour; Video Length: Exercise: 8:56
Video 2: Exercise Video
Review the use and procedures of Emergency Medical Short-Haul.
Describe how to medivac a patient using Emergency Medical Short-Haul.
Develop and provide rationale for a medivac plan.
- Review the module and videos
- Write a unique set of Parameters (see list below) for each group.
Facilitating the Discussion
- Watch the video
- Facilitate a discussion using the activity and discussion questions.
- Divide the class into small groups and distribute parameters to each group.
Advise participants that each group will:
- Create a unique scenario using the provided parameters.
- Develop a medivac response plan.
- Provide a rationale for the plan.
- *Note: Use your IRPGs. Other extraction techniques besides short-haul can be used depending on patient stability and the scenario.
- Play the activity Medevac Exercise video
- Have the groups present their proposed plans.
- Nature of Injury/Illness
- Location (on Google Earth map)
- Medical resources on scene
- Time of day
- Fire behavior/stage
WFSTAR guides are currently being updated and will be added to each module page as they are completed. In the interim, please use the following guide for this module. This guide is not completely Section 508 compliant. If you need an accessible version, please contact Mathew J. Schindel at firstname.lastname@example.org
- Instructor Guide
- Student Workbook
- 6MFS (Week of Remembrance 2018) – Medevac
- NPS Short-Haul introduction video www.youtube.com/watch?v=bNDmDihm8YQ
Incidents that have an aviation extraction component such as:
- Gregg Creek incident www.youtube.com/watch?v=TnbVUWcvz-Q&feature=youtu.be,
- Freezeout Ridge https://www.wildfirelessons.net/viewdocument/freezeout-ridge-fire-snag-incident,
- Las Conchas incident https://youtu.be/sinqJsUrYzE
The Forest Service is standing up programs to increase the number of emergency medical short-haul capabilities
- Interagency Emergency Helicopter Extraction Source List, PMS 512
- WFSTAR Course: Preparing for Wildfire Medivac
- WFSTAR Course: Innovative Uses of Helicopters
Additional Video Information
These videos are also available as a downloads.
Emergency Medical Short-Haul: An Introduction download (Size 214MB). Download the .srt file for closed captioning (you may need to right click and Save As). Not Yet.
Emergency Medivac Exercise download (Size 116MB). Download the .srt file for closed captioning (you may need to right click and Save As).
For information on how to add closed captioning to a video, see this how to page.
Note: For Chrome and Firefox, right click the word download and select Save Link As; For IE, right click and select Save Target As.