Home / Ad Positions / Field Observer
Field Observer, FOBS
- Obtains briefing from Situation Unit Leader or work supervisor.
- Obtains materials, transportation, and communications.
Performs general field observations and maintain field map.
- Determines and records incident perimeter and identify potential changes.
- Determines appropriate and safe travel routes.
- Determines areas threatened.
- Monitors weather changes and reports appropriately.
- Anticipates, characterizes, and reports the range of variability of fire effects.
- Identifies and reports hazardous situations and problem areas.
- Identifies and reports safety zones.
- Reports progress of operations and logistical support.
- Maps current and potential facilities, such as drop points, water sources, and helispots.
Reports hazardous situations.
- Immediately reports hazardous, life threatening situations to appropriate incident management personnel.
Monitors and records weather conditions.
- Selects suitable weather sampling site(s).
- Records temperature.
- Calculates relative humidity.
- Measures wind speed and direction.
- Completes weather observation form.
- Submits weather observations or forms as directed by supervisor.
Monitors incident situation.
Monitors, records, and reports fire behavior
- Flame lengths
- Rate of spread
- Smoke indicators
- Fuel models/conditions
- Monitors, records, and immediately reports extreme fire behavior.
- Monitors, records, and reports fire behavior
- Takes immediate corrective actions as conditions may warrant.
- Adheres to agency specific and incident appropriate safety standards while performing all tasks.
- Reports field data.
- Maps and overlays production.
- Maintains incident history on maps and narratives as required.
- Provides documentation of situation unit activities.
- Confirms demobilization instructions with supervisor.
Position Knowledge and/or Requirements
Qualified in one Strike Team Leader position
- Qualified in two Single Resource Boss positions (one must be CRWB or ENGB), and ICT4
Page Last Modified / Reviewed: