The Equipment Technology Committee (ETC) provides national leadership in wildland fire equipment, supplies, and chemicals. The ETC enables coordinated interagency management of wildland fire equipment, supplies, and chemicals, including planning, development, acquisition, and utilization. The ETC provides oversight of the National Interagency Support Caches and National Fire Equipment System.
- Establish, maintain and communicate consistent interagency standards and guidelines for equipment, supplies and chemicals for wildland fire suppression.
- Establish processes and procedures for the introduction, utilization, refurbishment, replacement, or disposal of any piece of equipment, supply item, or wildland fire chemical that has an established standard or specification.
- Develop and implement standard operating procedures for ETC business practices which establish consistent, well defined methods of operations and decision making.
- Contribute to the standardization of information technology systems (such as FireNet, IROC, etc.) to collect and distribute data, processes, forms, and other operational elements.
- ETC-SA-2021-01: Drip Torch Lock Rings Detaching
- ETC-EA-2021-01: Fire Shelter PVC Bag Retrofit 2021
- ETC-EB-2021-01: Fire Shelter Training Update/Reminders
- ETC-EB-2019-04: Medical Kit Changes – Urgent Recall of Altaire Pharmaceuticals Eye Wash Solution
- ETC-EB-2019-03: NWCG Dozer Typing Standard - Request for Comment
- ETC-EB-2019-02: Firefighter Pants Questionnaire Survey
- ETC-EB-2019-01: Medical Kit Changes for 2019 Field Season
- ETC-EB-2018-01: Further information on removal of NFES 001175 Five Gallon Fuel Can from NISCs
- ETC-EB-2017-01: U.S. Consumer Product Safety Commission Issues STIHL Chainsaw Recall
- ETC-EB-2016-03: Engine and Water Tender Foot Valve Leakage - Field Test Protocol
- ETC-EB-2016-01: Phase-Out of Drip Torches That Do Not Comply with US DOT and US OSHA Specifications
Wildland Firefighter's Helmet Serviceability Guide Flowchart
Fuel Geyser Awareness
- National Fuel Geyser Awareness Page
- Report Fuel Geyser Incidents
- FAQ About Fuel Geysering and the Soter Fuel System (SFS)
Vaporless Fueling System Field Evaluation
The Soter Fueling System (SFS) is a vaporless refueling system designed for chainsaws to mitigate the risk of injury from fuel geysering. The SFS is a closed refueling system that prevents vapor from being released. Information on the durability, maintainability and usability of the system is being evaluated by selected chainsaw operators.
Soter Fuel System Orientation Video. This video provides an overview of the Soter fuel system. It includes instructions for proper installation and use. Please watch the video before using the system.
If you have an idea that you feel will improve wildland fire fighter safety, operating efficiency, and reduce costs, review the Guide for the Submission of Innovative Ideas for Product or Process Improvement and submission form. We'd like to hear from you!
Useful Resources for the Equipment Technology Committee:
Helmet information is now available on the FSPPES homepage
Forest Service Technology and Development Centers:
Forest Service Fire Equipment Specifications and Standards (cache equipment)
Wildland Fire Chemical Systems (WFCS) - The WFCS provides national resource agencies with detailed information promoting safe and effective fire suppression chemicals and aerial delivery systems.
Roscommon Equipment Center - Wildland fire engine and equipment designs and information
- Canadian Interagency Forest Fire Centre (CIFFC) - The CIFFC provides operational fire-control services, as well as management and information services to its Member Agencies. In addition to coordinating services for all of the provinces and territories, CIFFC often coordinates the sharing of resources with the United States and other countries.
- Defense Logistics Agency
- GSA U.S. General Service Administration (GSA)
- National Fire Protection Association (NFPA) - The mission of the international nonprofit NFPA is to reduce the worldwide burden of fire and other hazards on the quality of life by providing and advocating scientifically-based consensus codes and standards, research, training and education.
- National Interagency Support Cache