Firefighter Type 1 (squad boss), FFT1
- Briefs subordinates on tactical assignment, fuels, topography, weather, safety zones and escape routes throughout the operational period.
- Responsible for the safety and welfare of subordinates during assignments, especially when separated from the balance of the crew.
- Develops instantaneous tactics as required by the fuel type, weather, terrain conditions, in conjunction with defined strategy received from supervisor.
- Properly uses portable or mobile multi-channel radio.
- Uses correct nomenclature.
- Correctly prepares radio for operation.
- Successfully completes radio check.
- Selects proper channel.
- Makes appropriate adjustments (squelch/volume).
- Changes location to improve reception/transmission (as needed).
- Protects radio from damage at all times.
- Uses proper radio procedures and techniques.
- Exercises proper radio discipline.
- Describes agency procedures for emergency notification (emergency traffic).
- Describes limitations of radio communications.
- Properly uses maps and compass.
- Accurately determines local declination.
- Uses compass to point to true north.
- Accurately orients map using compass, landmarks, improved properties, streets, access roads, and topographic features.
- Accurately identifies current location by determining back azimuths to two identifiable landmarks or topographic features.
- Verifies location by comparing topographic features or street references with map.
- Describes location in terms of coordinates or other acceptable description.
- Accurately reads map symbols.
- Accurately computes distance and bearing.
- Navigates from point to point using map, compass, and pacing.
- Accurately navigates to an assigned destination.
- Utilizes available property improvement maps to identify areas of concern.
- Takes appropriate action to safely initiate action during initial attack or when completing assigned wildland fire or prescribed fire tasks.
- Evaluates Initial Attack Plan.
- Directs tactical operations which provide safety to the firefighter.
- Uses appropriate fire suppression strategy.
- Develops appropriate tactics based on selected strategy, values to be protected and expected fire behavior.
- Maintains status reporting (ICS 201, Incident Briefing).
- Properly locates fireline.
- Uses appropriate fireline construction methods.
- Requests additional resources as needed.
- Directs the rearrangement and reduction of fuel.
- Directs the securing of hazards.
- Directs the preparation of building/structure.
- Direct the application of pre-treatment agents (foam, gel, blanket).
- Serves as lookout.
- Establishes/maintains communications with assigned resources.
- Chooses position with good view of all aspects of hazard, values to be protected, and personnel.
- Carries proper equipment (watch, map,radio/batteries).
- Provide updates on any changes that may compromise the safety of fireline personnel.
- Provides appropriate warnings and direction for hazardous conditions and/or indications of extreme fire behavior.
- Demonstrates understanding of how to apply the Risk Management Process found in PMS 461, Incident Response Pocket Guide and PMS 410-1, Fireline Handbook.
- Step 1 Situational awareness
- Step 2 Hazard assessment
- Step 3 Hazard control
- Step 4 Decision point
- Step 5 Evaluate
- Checks in at incident.
- Receives briefing from supervisor.
- Properly sizes up fire.
- Demonstrates ability to develop strategy and apply appropriate tactics.
- Demonstrates ability to reduce threat of fire exposure to improved properties.
- Demonstrates how to apply LCES.
- Briefs subordinates or relief.
- Keeps crewmembers informed on a regular basis about pertinent information.
- Inspects squad personnel for Personal Protective Equipment (PPE).
- Inspects assigned equipment and supplies.
- Provides leadership and supervision for squad members.
- Assists with preparation of reports and records.
- Confirms demobilization instructions with supervisor and brief subordinates.
- S-131, Advanced Firefighting Training
- Qualified Firefighter Type 2
Page Last Modified / Reviewed: